10-second bio: Garen Corbett on health policy and volunteerism

garen corbett_sliderName: Garen Corbett

Title: Director

Department: California Health Benefits Review Program

When I started working at UCOP: 2009

What I do in five words or less: Leverage UC health policy expertise

The best part about working for OP: My work is never boring. There is always a ton going on in my own group, my division, our offices and in the broader policy environment that I do much of my work in. I love being in a mission-driven environment that faces a huge range of strategic questions and has as many opportunities to effect change as we do. I am originally from a small state, and the size and scale of our university is still amazing to me. I am gratified by the opportunity to work with such a wide array of leaders, faculty, policymakers and other great staff on important issues that affect health care finance and delivery in California and beyond.

Something you don’t know about me: I used to play the trombone, despite being rhythmically challenged. I also chair the Bay Area advisory board of an organization called Spark, which places at-risk middle school youth in amazing apprenticeships with professionals across the Bay Area, and even right here in Oakland.

One weird fact about the town I grew up in: The Fig Newton was named after my hometown in the 1890s. It was first mass produced across the Charles River, in Cambridge. Merger after merger later, it became part of Nabisco.

If I could have any job in the world (besides the one I have now), I would be: I love working with kids and have always thought about teaching. That might be my future “retirement” job.