May update on OP Restructuring Effort

President Napolitano shared the following message to UCOP staff on Thursday, May 17, 2018.

Dear Colleagues,

I am writing you as part of my ongoing commitment to offer regular updates on the OP Restructuring Effort. Detailed below are four additional restructuring options that we will review in the coming weeks and months. Each of these reviews will operate on a different timeline depending on complexity and scope.  As I have done so far in this process, when a decision is reached, I will share it with you.

Consultations

• Mexico Programs – At my direction, Provost Brown has begun discussing options with the Chancellors on how to structure the UC Mexico Initiative, UC Mexus program, and Casa de California in the future. There may be an opportunity to strengthen these programs by combining them into a single entity and examining their locations, funding, and leadership structures.
  • Innovative Learning Technology Initiative (ILTI) – A recent organizational review suggested examining whether ILTI and other systemwide programs could transition to campuses. Provost Brown and I agree that we need to understand more about ILTI’s current structure and services along with future opportunities before determining whether any changes should be made.
  • Academic Affairs Departments – Provost Brown’s proposed restructuring for Academic Affairs and a recent organizational review both identified the possibility of reorganizing Academic Affairs by creating two new departments within the division to better organize existing functions and staff. The first department – tentatively titled “Academic Scholarship” – would focus on promoting and supporting scholarship and publication across the UC system. The second department – tentatively titled “Teaching & Learning” – would focus on supporting and facilitating systemwide instructional and curricular efforts and programs. Provost Brown and I agree that we need additional information and feedback before making a final decision regarding these new departments.
  • UCOP Operations – We established the concept of an aggregated UCOP Operations department several years ago during a prior realignment. Huron agreed this was a best practice and recommended ways to fine-tune the model. I believe it is worth exploring whether these options would enhance service, efficiency and/or effectiveness.

The options announced in February for consultation continue to move forward:

• Advisory Committees have been launched to consider the UC ANR and UC Health division options.
  • Innovation & Entrepreneurship has developed a business plan and we are considering next steps.

The implementation of several decisions announced in February and April is well underway. Changes to our budgeting practices announced in February and the organizational changes announced in April are reflected in the UCOP budget that will be presented for approval to the Regents in the May meeting. We are also preparing to launch the search for the SVP of External Relations and Communications.

I want to thank those of you who have taken time to speak with your managers about the restructuring effort or written to me directly. I review the feedback and comments I receive, and greatly appreciate your input. Please continue to offer feedback on any of the options detailed above – or the restructuring effort more generally – through your division/department leaders, to me at janet@ucop.edu or anonymously here.

We recently established a UCOP Change Management Community of Practice with employee representation from every division. This group will work with UCOP leadership and staff to successfully navigate the many organizational changes we face such as the restructuring effort, the transition to our new building, or adoption of new technologies. I want to thank our community of practice members – your contributions are essential to our success.

As always, we undertake change with an eye toward the ensuring the long-term success of UC’s academic, research and public service mission and the value UC provides to California and the world. Your ongoing commitment to your work and our mission is deeply appreciated.

Yours very truly,

Janet Napolitano