Classes and Workshops
- Pre-registration is required for all classes. See individual listings for the date that registration opens for that particular class.
- All classes listed below take place in downtown Oakland.
- Log into UC Learning Center (UCLC) to pre-register and see full class description and location. (See instructions at bottom of this page.)
- For general information about learning and development opportunities at UCOP, visit the Local Human Resources webpage.
Project Management Part 2 – Planning and Estimating a Project
Date: April 18, 2018
Time: 8:30 a.m. — 12:30 p.m.
In this course, students learn how to build a professional-grade project plan and detailed estimates. At the conclusion of this half-day course, students will be able to:
- Construct a “work breakdown structure”
- Construct a “network diagram,” connecting tasks to show their logical relationships
- Perform critical path analysis, “crashing,” and “fast-tracking” to meet project requirements
- Manage scope
- Create a project staffing plan
- Discuss the role of a change management plan
- Develop and apply a communications management plan
- Develop realistic, “detailed,” “bottom-up” estimates of the effort, duration, and budget
- Calibrate estimates based on resource assignments
Project Management Part 3 – Scheduling and Tracking a Project
Date: April 24, 2018
Time: 8:30 a.m.—12:30 p.m.
In this course, students learn how to convert a project plan and estimates into a project schedule, and to track and communicate project status. At the conclusion of this half-day course, students will be able to:
- Create a project schedule
- Perform what if analysis to optimize the project schedule
- Understand the role of project management software in managing the schedule
- Conduct effective project progress reviews
- Track the health of the project using “Vital signs”
- Continuously monitor and update risks to the project
Accomplishing More with Less
Date: April 25, 2018
Time: 8:30 a.m.—4:30 p.m.
Bombarded by information? Persistently interrupted and side-tracked? Always juggling competing and changing priorities? Frustrated with digital overload?
This fun and engaging workshop, facilitated by “People on the Go,” gives breakthrough techniques for difficult time and productivity challenges.
Participants will gain strategies to:
- Better manage interruptions and stay focused while still being responsive to the needs of team members
- Work more strategically instead of working harder
- Manage competing priorities and better align daily activities with goals
Excel 2016 Advanced
Date: April 25, 2018
Time: 9 a.m.— 4 p.m.
Excel Advanced 2016 is targeted at experienced Excel users and builds on the key concepts learned from the Introduction and Intermediate courses. Content focuses on importing and exporting data, formatting numbers, working with ranges, working with macros, data analysis tools, summarizing data, using “what-if” data analysis and workgroup collaboration. This full day class is hands-on and highly interactive.
After completing the course, participants will be able to:
- Apply advanced functions, including logical, financial, statistical, and database functions
- Use Data Tables to explore the effects of different input values on a formula
- Find specific values or determine the cell address of a specific value with lookup functions
- Implement data validation to control which values are allowed in cells
- Set up, use, and format Pivot Tables to analyze complex data sets
- Present results to stakeholders graphically with PivotCharts, SmartArt graphics, and conditional data bars or icons
- Use text files, XML files, Microsoft Queries, and Web Queries to import and export spreadsheet data
and much more
Prerequisite: A strong, working knowledge of Microsoft Excel required. Completion of Excel Introduction and Excel Intermediate training classes is preferred.
HOW TO REGISTER:
To register for any of these classes, go to the UC Learning Center:
- Log in using your UCOP login and password
- Using the Search box on the left, type in the name of the class you want
- Click the session you want, then click on the Register box and Submit
If you enroll in a class and are unable to attend, please be sure to cancel your registration so that your slot can be made available to others interested in the class. Cancel through the UC Learning Center 48 hours before the scheduled class time, or contact John Blake in Learning & Development at 510-587-6258 or firstname.lastname@example.org.