Classes and Workshops
- Pre-registration is required for all classes.
- Log into UC Learning Center (UCLC) to pre-register or register, read complete class descriptions and view the location. (See registration instructions at the bottom of this page.)
- For general information about learning and development opportunities at UCOP, visit the Local Human Resources webpage.
Upcoming Classes and Workshops
Giving Feedback to Employees
Online: Tuesday, May 28, 2-4 p.m.
UCPath: Tuesday, June 4, 9-11 a.m.
Broadway: Tuesday, June 11, 9-11 a.m.
Online: Thursday, June 13, 9-11 a.m.
UCPath: Thursday, June 20, 2-4 p.m.
This training is geared for people managers. We will focus on how to give an employee clear, constructive feedback in a positive manner that helps them hear and integrate your feedback. At this meeting, we will:
- Learn guidelines for effective feedback and coaching
- Reflect on videos of feedback sessions
- Practice giving feedback
Communication Skills for Successful Projects
Franklin: Thursday, May 30, 8:30 a.m.-12:30 p.m.
This workshop taught by Raj Kapur focuses on the key skills, tools, and behaviors that underlie collaborative communication required for successful project results. You will learn how to analyze a team’s communication competence, how to build core capability in “dimensional listening,” and how to frame clear messages, advocacy, and communication across cultural and thinking style differences. The workshop also covers communication for virtual and geographically distributed teams by using everything from email to IM to wikis. This helps you select the right vehicle for the communication required.
- Understand the domains of communication excellence in a project environment
- Be able to diagnose the team’s communication challenges and strengths using a best-practice framework
- Recognize the appropriate roles in the communication process for each project
- Ensure that the team has established norms for communication
- Assess the expertise needed for effective communications in each project and then hire staff accordingly
- Techniques, tools, and skills to communicate for results in project planning, execution, and debrief
- Self-assessment of current skills/practices and identification of personal improvement areas
UCOP Leadership and Cohort Opportunities Overview
Online: Friday, May 31, 12-1 p.m.
Learn about leadership and career learning cohort opportunities available at the Office of the President. During this one-hour info session you will learn about:
- Leadership and Career Development Cohorts and how to apply
- eLearning opportunities
- Current classes available at OP
Mindfulness at Work (Online)
Online: Tuesday, June 4, 10-11 a.m.
Less stress. Enhanced awareness and focus. Improved health.
These are some of the benefits shown in research studies on mindfulness. In this one-hour workshop, you will learn how to both reduce your stress and increase your effectiveness at work through simple mindfulness techniques. Some highlights:
- Research on mindfulness benefits
- Mindfulness vs meditation
- Simple mindfulness practices at work
Sharepoint Intermediate – Site Admin (Online)
Online: Thursday, June 13, 9:30-11:30 a.m.
SharePoint is a powerful tool that provides collaboration team sites for workgroups to share documents, calendars, project information to name a few. For SharePoint to be effective, the day-to-day team site administration needs to be in the hands of the teams rather than a central authority. Therefore individuals in the business units need the knowledge to administer team sites. This workshop focuses on the primary skills necessary for site administration such as permissions, site and list creation, page editing and navigation.
Audio: use computer audio or dial *4 within UCOP office or 646-876-9923
Meeting ID: 5109879116
Tableau Desktop Intermediate/Advanced
Franklin: Tuesday, June 25, 9 a.m.-12 p.m.
This workshop will provide hands-on work with Tableau Desktop on advanced and intermediate topics with a special focus on calculations. It is not appropriate for first-timers. Some prior usage of Tableau is required.
- Viz in tooltip, Parameters, Sets
- Logical, REGEX
- Table Calculations
- Level of Detail
- Order of Operations
- Bump chart
- Set Actions
- The computer lab computers already have Tableau installed, so there are no additional technical requirements.
More Classes and Workshops
- For more upcoming learning and development opportunities at UCOP, check the current class schedule.
- Pre-registration is required for all classes. See individual listings for the date that registration opens for that particular class.
- Log into UC Learning Center to pre-register and see full class description and location. (See instructions at bottom of this page.)
How to Register
To register for any of these classes, go to the UC Learning Center:
- Log in using your UCOP login and password
- Using the Search box on the left, type in the name of the class you want
- Click the session you want, then click on the Register box and Submit
- If you enroll in a class and are unable to attend, please be sure to cancel your registration so that your slot can be made available to others interested in the class. Cancel through the UC Learning Center 48 hours before the scheduled class time, or contact Learning & Development.