UCOP, UCPath, UCDC staff celebrate diversity at Multicultural Day events
More than 200 UCOP and UCPath staff members joined with colleagues on Thursday, Oct. 18, in Franklin Lobby 1 in Oakland, at the UCPath Center in Riverside, and at the UC Washington Center (UCDC) for a celebration of staff diversity and to find out more about the exciting events and opportunities available to UCOP staff through the staff affinity groups. All events featured wonderful food representing the cuisine of many countries, as well as camaraderie and lively conversation.
In Oakland and Riverside, there were outstanding displays of the “We Are UCOP/We Are UCPath” photo project, a collection of staff portraits with compelling captions in each staff member’s own words about how they identify themselves.
At UCDC, staff celebrated each other’s unique stories and backgrounds by submitting images and photos to share with the group and posting greetings in other languages on a display board.
Affinity groups connect with staff
OP Staff Assembly (OPSA), UC Pride, Latino Staff Association (LaSA), Black Staff and Faculty Organization (BSFO), Asian Pacific Islander Staff Association (APISA), Project Management Interest Group/Business Analysis Affinity Group (PMIG/BAAG) and UCOP Pride brought life to the party, with colorful and interactive table displays where staff could learn more about what each affinity group does and how staff can participate.
Staff left wanting more — and more is planned!
Multicultural Day was organized by UCOP’s Employee Engagement and Diversity Group (EEDG), which seeks to build a culture of inclusion and belonging at UCOP. Several attendees at the Multicultural Day event expressed an interest in having their picture taken to add to the photo collection in order to showcase even more staff. Many also asked if the photos could be housed in a place where staff could continue to view them. EEDG members are working on both of these requests, so stay tuned! We also have some other events in the works for early in the New Year, so keep an eye out from further news from EEDG!
In the meantime, EEDG encourages staff to keep the fun and connection going by participating in upcoming events planned by OP staff affinity groups. Check the Link calendar and related articles for details:
- LaSA and OGC Diversity Committee will display a Dia de los Muertos ofrenda Oct. 29 through Nov. 2 at the Franklin building and Oct. 30 through Nov. 1 at the UCPath Center.
- LaSA and UCOP’s Craft Club will host Sugar Skull Decorating on Oct. 30 at Franklin. At the UCPath Center, staff can paint their faces like sugar skulls from 2 to 4 p.m. on Nov. 1.
- The OPSA Halloween Potluck and Costume Party will be held at Franklin on Oct. 31.
- Disney-Pixar’s film “Coco” will be screened at Franklin on Nov. 1.
- On Nov. 5 at Franklin, PACSW’s Women We Admire Series will feature speaker Ann Kovalchick, Associate Vice Chancellor & CIO at UC Merced.
- In November, holiday poinsettias will be sold by OPSA for UCOP staff scholarship fundraising.
- EEDG Gratitude Grams will start in November. (Details TBA)
- BSFO Holiday Potluck will be held on Dec. 12. (Details TBA)
And to stay involved, sign up for the listservs of staff affinity groups you are interested in. Go to the UCOP Affinity Groups webpage to learn more about each group, including how to sign up for their listserv.