May issue of The Senate Source now available
The May 2011 issue of The Senate Source, an online publication for University of California faculty published by the UC Systemwide Senate, is now available at http://www.universityofcalifornia.edu/senate/news/. This month’s stories include:
- Budget anxiety increases: Read about some of the latest developments in the state and university budget situation.
- What faculty can do to help advocate on behalf of the UC budget: A list of actions you can take to help engage support for UC’s budget message to the state.
- Online pilot gets new funds plan, and questions: UCOP’s online education pilot project plan is moving forward despite lingering Senate concerns about the goals of the project and a new financial model that relies on external borrowing and attracting significant numbers of non-UC students.
- Council approves guidelines for self-supporting programs: Academic Council has approved guidelines drafted by the Coordinating Committee on Graduate Affairs for Graduate Councils and Committees on Planning and Budget to use in reviewing proposals for new Self-Supporting graduate degree Programs and new proposals to charge Professional Degree Supplemental Tuition.
- Council task force developing innovative “rebenching plan”: An Academic Council Task Force charged with developing an actionable plan grounded in the report of Council’s Special Committee on a Plan for the University of California has forwarded an excerpt of its draft report to the President’s Budget Rebenching Committee.
- Bob Powell elected 2011–12 Academic Senate vice chair: UC Davis Professor of Chemical Engineering and Materials Bob Powell has been elected vice chair of the Academic Senate for the 2011–12 academic year.
- Notes from Academic Senate Chair Dan Simmons