Tech Topic: How to share and open calendars in Outlook
The UCOP TechDesk offers a series of Tech Topics to help you enhance your computer skills, including this tip on sharing and opening calendars in Microsoft Office Outlook 2007.
Microsoft’s Outlook calendar application can be used as a collaboration tool to make your calendar visible to others and to open the calendars of people you work with. To learn how to share calendars, read the instructions below or watch a video.
How to Share Your Calendar
1. In the Office Outlook 2007 navigation pane, click Calendar, and then click Share My Calendar in the left navigation pane.
2. In the sharing invitation e-mail message, do one of the following in the To box:
- Type the name of the person with whom you want to share your calendar, or
- Click To to select names from the Address Book.
To request a shared view of your recipient’s calendar, select the Request permission to view recipient’s calendar check box. This is optional.
3. Click Send.
4. In the Microsoft Office Outlook dialog box, click Yes.
5. An e-mail will be sent to the user you want to share your calendar with. All they need to do is click on Open this calendar (from the e-mailed invitation) and then your calendar will appear in their Outlook calendar view. Afterwards, your calendar will be listed in their Calendar Navigation Pane and can be viewed by selecting the check box.
How to Open a Shared Calendar
1. If you have permission to view a calendar but the name does not appear in your calendar navigation window, click Calendar in the Office Outlook 2007 navigation pane, and then click Open a Shared Calendar in the left navigation pane.
2. In the pop-up window, type in the name of the person whose calendar you want to view and click OK.
3. If you have permission to view the calendar, it will be displayed in the Calendar window. Afterwards, that calendar will be listed in your Calendar Navigation Pane and can be viewed by selecting the check box.
To see a complete version of this Tech Topic with screenshots, go to http://www.ucop.edu/irc/techtopics.html. If you have any questions, please contact the TechDesk at TechDesk@ucop.edu or 510-987-0457.