Summer 2012 WorkFit Program set to resume May 14
At last week’s Wellness Fair, several WorkFit instructors made an appearance to demonstrate the variety of exercises offered through the popular onsite fitness program. Risk Services also held a drawing for two free memberships for the summer session; congratulations to winners Gina Mortensen of Education Partnerships and Patsy Alejado of UCOP Local Human Resources.
The summer 2012 session starts Monday, May 14. That week, everyone’s a WorkFit winner, because you can try WorkFit classes for free all week long. No registration required; just show up and get fit for free. If you haven’t tried WorkFit, this is the time to check it out. WorkFit instructors can accommodate any skill level.
For the complete calendar of events at Franklin or Kaiser, check the Risk Services website.
News for Franklin WorkFitters
Mid-day classes continue to be hosted at CSU East Bay, 1000 Broadway (entrance is on the 11th Street side, halfway between Broadway and Franklin). Once again, Kate White and her staff at CSUEB will host the program in Room 1. Unfortunately, there are a few blackout dates due to space availability (please see the calendar), but WorkFit instructors will plan alternative sessions for those days. It might be a brisk walk to the park, exercise at Lake Merritt or on the 5th floor terrace.
For those who prefer a quiet start to the workday, try Dawn Patrol Yoga Tuesday and Thursday, 7:00 to 7:45 a.m. in Lobby 1.
News for Kaiser WorkFitters
The Kaiser location program will resume in the same space on the second floor of the two-story Kaiser Mall building, adjacent to the garage.
Once again, three membership options will be offered for the summer session:
- Full membership of $50 allows you to attend as many classes as you wish at either location until the end of the session on August 31, 2012.
- Half-session at $30 allows you to attend as many classes as you wish at either location for the first half of the session through June 29, 2012.
- A second half-session membership at $30 allows you to attend classes from July 9 to August 31; keep an eye on Link for the announcement in June.
Family and friends (over age 18) are welcome to join for the same low price.
To register, logon through UC Berkeley’s RecSports website. Remember to select your campus affiliation as COMMUNITY.
Franklin Building and vicinity classes
- *Yoga: Tuesday/Thursday, 7:00 to 7:45 a.m., Lobby 1
- Stretch & Release: Monday/Wednesday/Friday, 11:30 a.m. to 12:15 p.m., CSUEB
- Circuit Training: Monday/Wednesday, 12:20 to 1:05 p.m., CSUEB
- Yoga Toning: Friday, 12:20 to 1:05 p.m., CSUEB
- *Yoga: Monday, 4:45 to 5:30 p.m., Lobby 1
- Circuit Training: Tuesday/Thursday, 11:30 a.m. to 12:15 p.m., CSUEB
- Crazy about Core: Tuesday/Thursday, 12:20 to 1:05 p.m., CSUEB
- *Zumba: Tuesday, 4:45 to 5:30 p.m., Lobby 1
Please note: *Classes marked with an asterisk may be canceled due to space availability.
Kaiser Mall Building (Room 260)
- Circuit Training: Monday/Wednesday/Friday, 12:00 to 12:45 p.m.
- Crazy about Core: Tuesday/Thursday, 12:00 to 12:45 p.m.
- Zumba: Monday/Wednesday, 5:15 to 6:00 p.m.
- Yoga: Tuesday/Thursday, 5:15 to 6:00 p.m.
Please note that no classes will be held at either location the week of July 2.
About the Classes
- Circuit Training focuses on building strength, flexibility and endurance through a series of exercises using items such as weights and stability balls.
- Crazy about Core will help strengthen the body’s center through a combination of mat work, resistance exercise, Pilates, yoga and more.
- Stretch and Release is all about stretching techniques (including yoga), trigger-point muscle release and self-massage, all focused on relieving pain and increasing mobility.
- Yoga cultivates strength, balance and flexibility through a series of fluid movements.
- Yoga Toning (Franklin) is a power workout using yoga movements to improve strength, flexibility and endurance. A nice complementary workout to Circuit Training.
- Zumba is a cardio dance workout to the beat of Latin music.
For information including location details, registration link and schedule, check the “Newsworthy” section of the Risk Services website.
WorkFit is brought to you by UCOP Risk Services in partnership with UC Berkeley Recreational Sports.
Questions? Contact Janine Crocker at (510) 987-9882 or firstname.lastname@example.org.