June issue of the Senate Source now available online
The June 2012 issue of The Senate Source is now available online. This month’s features include:
- Notes from Academic Senate Chair Robert Anderson: 2011-12 Senate Chair Anderson reflects on the current issues before the Senate and the University.
- Faculty passes memorial to the Regents: Academic Senate members at all 10 UC campuses have voted overwhelmingly (93 percent) in favor of a memorial calling on the Regents to support specific ballot measures and legislation to increase state revenues and/or prioritize funding for higher education.
- Academic Council issues faculty salaries recommendations: The Academic Council says the university should consider a 3 percent salary increase for faculty and non-represented staff as important as other mandatory cost increases, and is recommending a mechanism for increasing faculty salaries by that amount based partly on the report of a joint Senate-Administration Taskforce.
- Oliver Johnson Award: UC San Francisco Professor Sandra J. Weiss and UC Davis Professor John B. Oakley are the recipients of the 2012 Oliver Johnson Award for Distinguished Service to the Academic Senate.
- New Senate Ag Committee grows shared governance: The Academic Council’s new Special Committee on Agriculture and Natural Resources (ACSCANR) has met only three times but has already successfully increased the Senate’s shared governance role in matters concerning the Division of Agriculture and Natural Resources (ANR) and the Agricultural Experiment Station (AES).
- Reconsidering senate membership: An unprecedented move by the San Francisco Senate Division has prompted the systemwide senate to convene its second working group in three years to consider the boundaries of senate membership.
- Bill Jacob elected vice chair: UC Santa Barbara Professor of Mathematics Bill Jacob has been elected 2012-13 Academic Senate vice chair.
- This issue also includes a list of current items under Academic Senate review and several other updates and announcements of interest to the faculty.
The Senate Source is an online publication for UC faculty published by the University of California Systemwide Senate. Previous issues are available. Please forward any comments to co-editors Clare Sheridan and Michael LaBriola at email@example.com.