When life happens: Accommodation and Leave Services
When life-changing events interfere with your ability to do your job, there are several UCOP and UC resources and services that can be of help.
Accommodation and Leave Services (ALS), part of the UCOP Local Human Resources team, can help employees manage leave for everything from the birth or adoption of a new child to a serious medical condition, or arrange an alternative work schedule to accommodate caring for a family member with a serious medical condition.
ALS can also assist employees in overcoming disability-related restrictions or limitations that affect their ability to perform their job duties. UCOP’s Workers’ Compensation, Catastrophic Leave and Emergency Loan programs also fall under the responsibility of ALS.
Both employees and managers are encouraged to contact ALS Manager Nina Chew or HR Coordinator Doris Parham for help balancing these types of events with the demands of their work duties.
ALS can work with managers and supervisors to provide training on UCOP’s obligations and on identifying circumstances that require ALS support and consultation.
For more details, check these resources:
- Nina Chew, Accommodation and Leave Services Manager: Nina.Chew@ucop.edu, 510- 587-6094
- Doris Parham, Human Resources Coordinator: Doris.Parham@ucop.edu, 510-987-0031
- UCOP Family Resources Network (FRN): A staff affinity group that provides advice and networking opportunities to UCOP staff looking for support in balancing their career and family obligations.
- UCSF Faculty and Staff Assistance Program (FSAP): A UCSF counseling program that provides confidential, no-cost counseling and referral services, including help with elder or dependent care and parenting issues. This service is available to UCOP staff and appointments can be scheduled at UCOP Oakland locations.
- UCB Early Childhood Education Program (ECEP): A UC Berkeley program that provides quality early childhood services to 240 children of UC faculty, staff and students at six centers in Berkeley and Albany. This service is also available to UCOP staff.
- SelectPlus: A web-based resource for locating child and senior care services.