10-Second Bio: Ina Potter of the Office of the General Counsel

Ina Potter sizedName: Ina Potter

Title: Senior Counsel

Department/Unit: Office of the General Counsel

Location: Franklin

When I started working at UCOP: December 2008

What I do for OP in five words or less: Employee Benefits lawyer in OGC

The best part about working for OP: Great clients and colleagues and a wide range of interesting and challenging benefits questions that might put many folks to sleep but which sometimes keep me up at night.

Something you don’t know about me: Working as a lawyer is my second career. I worked in sales for about 10 years before attending law school. I sold college textbooks and sold advertising space at the NY Times and for an educational magazine. I also worked as the College and Trade Publications Editor at an international publishing house in NYC and taught English in the Peace Corps in Cameroon. So maybe I’ve had more than two careers.

One weird fact about the town I grew up in: This may be more surprising than weird. Wichita, Kan., where I grew up, is “The Air Capital of the World.” It is (or was) the home of Boeing, Beech Aircraft, Cessna and Learjet. (On the downside, Wichita is also the home of Koch Industries and the you-know-who brothers.)

If I could have any job in the world (besides the one I have now), I would be: A concert pianist — more of a calling than a job. I have no musical talent, however, so this is totally hypothetical. Also, I’m not really focused on jobs just now — except, of course, for my job here in OGC — because I’m retiring on July 1st. (I might take piano lessons when I retire.)