Come hear a speaker from Apple at National Cyber Security Awareness Month event
Anyone who has read the news or opened their email lately knows that data breaches and online information leaks are increasingly common and sophisticated. Organizations of all sizes, as well as individuals, are a target for hackers looking to exploit security vulnerabilities or human error.
October is National Cyber Security Awareness Month (NCSAM), offering a reminder about important steps you can take to protect the University of California and yourself. Spam filters and antivirus software are not always enough. Keeping information, our families, and the university secure is a shared responsibility.
NCSAM activities at UCOP
There will be a number of activities at UCOP in October to raise awareness and help you stay safe online at work and at home. Remaining events:
Featured event: National Cyber Security Awareness Month Forum
On Tuesday, Oct. 16, UCOP will host a special National Cyber Security Awareness Month event.
At 11 a.m., a representative from Apple will share helpful information about security features and tips for personal devices.
At 12 p.m., two members of the California Cybersecurity Institute at Cal Poly San Luis Obispo will speak about online human trafficking and cyber strategies for recognizing and combating it.
The event will include lunch, a drawing and giveaways. See the event page for more information and to register.
- Cybersecurity tips will be on display every week in UCOP buildings in Oakland.
- At the end of October, we’ll have an online cybersecurity trivia quiz and drawing. Quiz questions will be based on information from UCOP’s NCSAM awareness materials (handouts, posters, videos, Forum). UCOP employees who complete the quiz will be entered into the drawing for prizes. Watch for the quiz to be posted on UCOP’s NCSAM web page on Oct. 30 and announced in Link.
- UCOP’s National Cyber Security Awareness Month page
- UCOP’s Information Security site
- UC’s systemwide Information Security Awareness website
- Ask questions or get help by contacting the UCOP IT Service Desk:
Questions about the NCSAM activities in October? Contact Julie Goldstein at Julie.Goldstein@ucop.edu or 510-287-3317.