Seasonal office decorations: Keep it safe
Are you decorating your workspace to suit the season? Have fun — and keep our office safe by following these important guidelines:
- Make sure decorations do not obstruct exit signs, fire extinguishers, fire alarms or other office safety features.
- Do not decorate corridors, which need to remain open.
- Make certain all decorations are non-combustible (not all artificial trees are!) or marked as flame-retardant.
- Use only UL-listed lights in perfect condition. Assign a staff member to turn them off at the end of the day.
- Do not use any open flames such as candles.
- Use only UL-listed grounded extension cords that are in excellent condition and have fuse receptacles.
- Do not create tripping or fire hazards by running electrical cords across walkways, tacking them to walls or plugging them into power strips.
- Select natural trees for freshness and flame retardant treatment and maintain them in a stand with water added daily. Check with your building’s management to find out how tree must be delivered to the office.