Link: UCOP's e-newsletter

Stay Informed. Stay Connected.

UC business travel tips

If you’re unfamiliar with the travel and entertainment process for UC business — or could use a quick refresher — take note of these UC business travel basics.

How do I book business travel?

Make your reservations online through Connexxus, UC’s systemwide travel-booking tool. Connexxus booking resources include:

  • Airbnb
  • Amtrak
  • Uber
  • Airfare
  • Lodging
  • Rental cars

How do I get reimbursed for university-related travel and entertainment?

Service Now lets you submit requests to the Business Resource Center (BRC) for a variety of services. Features include:

  • Pre-Trip Authorization (PTA): Direct-bill airfare for individuals traveling on university business.
    • Note: If you add personal travel to a business trip, and this makes your airfare more expensive, you will need to pay for the airfare out of pocket and seek reimbursement for the business portion after travel is complete. You must obtain an airfare comparison when booking your flight.
  • Travel and Entertainment (T&E) Cards: T&E Cards pay for travel expenses, such as lodging, meals and incidentals, rental cars, transportation and parking charges incurred while on university business. If using a T&E card, hotel deposits and conference registration can be paid in advance. Never use a T&E card for personal expenses, airfare or another employee’s travel expenses.

  • Direct billing for lodging: Using the Virtual Card (V-Card) program, you can direct-bill your hotel lodging expenses at one of our 31 hotel partners. Most are located near university campuses, medical centers, administrative offices, in major U.S. cities and in London. Submit your direct bill lodging request at least three days prior to your stay.

Learn more about business travel on the BRC website.

How are meals and incidentals reimbursed?

Daily expenses for meals and incidentals are capped at $62 and are reimbursed based upon actual expenses, not paid as a per diem. Incidentals include tips for wait staff, hotel housekeeping staff, bellhops, doormen and concierges.

What should I do if I’m unsure whether an expense is reimbursable?

Ask before acting. Always get receipts for airfare, conference registration, lodging and car rentals, as well as any expense greater than $75 and any host gift more than $25.

Where can I learn more about travel and entertainment while on UC business?

Questions? Email

Tags: , ,

Leave your comment here