Tuesday, Feb. 2: Attend the BSFO Scholarship Awards Ceremony
On Tuesday, Feb. 2, the Black Staff and Faculty Organization (BSFO) will hold its annual Scholarship Awards Ceremony — virtually! All UCOP staff are invited to attend from 2:30 – 3:00 p.m. via Zoom to honor the inspiring educational goals of this year’s scholarship recipients, Jai Bailey, Rakia White and Sia’h Fanta Jimissa. Download an event flyer to learn about the 2021 awardees.
BSFO Black History Month: upcoming events
BSFO Film Series: Disney PIXAR “Soul”
Feb. 10, 5 – 6:50 p.m. | “Soul” Zoom link
Meeting ID: 986 5957 5404 | Passcode: 860956
Join your colleagues for a virtual screening of Pixar Animation Studios’ all-new feature film “Soul,” focused on the theme of, “What is it that makes you…YOU?” Joe Gardner (voiced by Jamie Foxx) is a middle-school band teacher who gets the chance of a lifetime to play at the best jazz club in town. But one small misstep takes him from the streets of New York City to The Great Before — a fantastical place where new souls get their personalities, quirks and interests before they go to Earth.
BSFO & UCSF Center for Vulnerable Populations COVID-19 We Need to Talk Series: Part 3 – “R U Taking the Vaccine?”
Feb. 12, 2:30 – 3:30 p.m. | “R U Taking the Vaccine” Zoom link
BSFO brings together a panel of esteemed UC scientists to talk about racial disparities in COVID-19 and the safety and efficacy of the new vaccine. This event will feature:
- Dena Bullard, Senior Coordinator, UC Health Academic Sciences Programs (Moderator)
- David Tom Cooke, M.D., F.A.C.S., Associate Professor and Head, Section of General Thoracic Surgery, UC Davis Health
- Kirsten Bibbins-Domingo, Ph.D., M.D., M.A.S., Professor and Chair, Department of Epidemiology and Biostatistics, UCSF Health
- Malcolm John, M.D., M.P.H., Professor, School of Medicine, UCSF Health
- Kim F. Rhoads, M.D., M.S., M.P.H., Associate Professor, Epidemiology and Biostatistics, UCSF Health
Defund the Police Panel: Reimagining Public Safety
Feb. 17, 2 – 3:30 p.m. | Defund the Police Panel Zoom link
The call to “defund the police” has never been more prominent than it was in 2020, following the murders of George Floyd, Breonna Taylor, Ahmaud Arbery and many other Black Americans at the hands of law enforcement. In this panel, BSFO brings together a panel of experts from the academic community, law enforcement and UCOP to envision an equitable design for the future of public safety. This event will feature:
- Geoffrey (Geoff) Gibbs, Special Counsel, UC Legal (Moderator)
- Jennifer Cobbina, Ph.D., Associate Professor, School of Criminal Justice, Michigan State University
- Major David Hughes, Professional Standards Bureau Chief, Newport News Virginia Sheriff’s Office
- Nikki Jones, Ph.D., Professor, African American Studies, UC Berkeley
Fireside Chat with UC President Michael V. Drake, M.D., Moderated by Dr. Yvette Gullatt, Ph.D.
Feb. 24, 2:30 – 3:30 p.m. | Fireside Chat Zoom link
Event description will be provided soon.
Tags: Black History Month, BSFO