Staff Appreciation Week 2014: The week in pictures
- The weather was good, the food was great and the company was even better at UCOP's third annual Staff Appreciation Lunch, which kicked off the week.
- An estimated 700 people attended the Tuesday lunch on the Franklin patio, enjoying tacos with all the fixings, beverages and desserts.
- UCOP staff groups tabled to talk about what they do and stamp raffle tickets. About 200 people participated in the raffle, and 13 won gift cards to local eateries.
- People mobbed the table to sign up for the newest staff affinity group, which is looking for UCOP staff who are alumni of a UC campus.
- The Staff Appreciation lunch was, more than anything, a chance to visit with old friends and meet some new ones, nourishing both body and spirit.
- Warm, crunchy churros were the big indulgence of the day. I'll take two, please!
- For a sweet finish on the lighter side, Italian ice was also available in a variety of flavors.
- On Wednesday, volunteers and organizers finished stuffing backpacks with supplies for 30 residents of Covenant House, located in Oakland.
- Later that day, President Napolitano presented the backpacks to Covenant House representatives, joined by Alina Tejera (in red), who organized the drive.
- Vice Provost Yvette Gullatt spoke to Covenant House resident Kevante Reese and put him in touch with a contact at UC Berkeley, the campus he's most interested in attending.
- President Napolitano hammed it up with Sergio Medina, associate executive director of Covenant House, resident Alaicia Taylor (left, with envelope) and Reese.
- BRC opened Friday's talent showcase with their own version of "You Can Go," with new lyrics pleading for clients to follow the travel reimbursement process.
- Jenne Vargas-Maes of the President's Executive Office showed her other side, buzzing with energy as she danced while twirling blinking light orbs.
- The "game show" segments pitted contestants against the clock to match UC chancellors, mascots and founding years with their correct campuses.
- Howard Fallon sang and played guitar. He asked emcee Lloyd to mention the SKY Memorial Foundation, which he founded after his daughter Kendra was killed in a plane crash.
- IRAP Coordinator Gregory Sykes and Margaret Wu of OGC played violin duets by Mozart and Bartok.
- Chief Building Manager Roman Starno showed his knack for standup comedy when he introduced his song, before the hat appeared.
- President Napolitano and AVP Debora Obley belted out "Hey Dude," an appeal to Gov. Brown for funding, sung to the tune of the Beatles' "Hey Jude."
- Neil Kronenthal of Procurement Services played guitar for the Beatles' medley, while emcee and Chief Risk Officer Cheryl Lloyd looked on.
- The crowd got up on its feet to join in with the traditional "Hey Jude" refrain, a fitting communal finish to Staff Appreciation Week 2014.
For the third year in a row, Staff Appreciation Week raised the bar from the previous year’s event, packing four days with fun, food, festivities and UCOP community spirit.
There were tacos, T-shirts and talents galore. We got to meet new friends, learn more about our UCOP staff groups and give back to the local community. The Oakland Museum opened its doors to us, and Covenant House thanked us from the bottom of its heart.
At the Talent Show, Jenne danced, Janet sang and we all got to show how little we know about UC’s campus mascots. Between acts, Provost Aimée Dorr read the names of staff who have achieved service milestones of 10, 15, 25, 30 and 35 years.
Check out the slideshow for more on the week’s activities. And if you see the following folks in the halls or elevators this week, be sure to show your appreciation for all they did to produce Staff Appreciation Week:
- Sutton Bennett
- Donna Collins
- Ethan Davis
- Berni Fitzsimmons
- Barbara Heilmann
- Gabby Jung
- Paul Lechner
- Gina Mortenson
- Cathy O’Sullivan
- Karin Rice
- Dan Scannell
- Alina Tejera