New procedure begins for copying, scanning, faxing
Beginning this week, a new logon procedure will be phased in for copying, scanning and faxing at UCOP’s networked Xerox machines.
Each time you go to a multifunction device to copy, fax or scan, you will simply log on to the printer, similar to logging on to your computer, as follows:
- First, enter your user ID (same as your computer logon, e.g., jsmith).
- Then, enter your four-digit department code (8xxx). If you don’t know this code, ask your department manager, departmental budget contact or primary administrator.
This is an extra step, but it will support UCOP’s new approach of capturing charges for all print services and reallocating them to departments. This will provide departments with detailed data about their printing and copying activity. Charges for printing started on Aug. 1, and charges for copying will be initiated Sept. 4.
The logon will be rolled out floor by floor at each UCOP location as follows:
- Week of Aug. 6: 20th St. Building
- Week of Aug. 13: Broadway, Franklin floor 9, Kaiser floors 10 & 12
- Week of Aug. 20: Franklin floors 6 & 10; Kaiser floors 3, 5, 6 & 7
- Week of Aug. 27: Franklin floors 5, 7, 8, 11 & 12
Logon instructions will be posted on each multifunction device, and representatives of the Print Management Initiative Task Force will be on hand the day of the rollout at each location to train staff on how to log on, log off, and access their department codes.
In addition, two information sessions are being offered for employees to ask questions and see demonstrations of the new procedure, as follows:
- Tuesday, Aug. 14, 2 to 3 pm, 712 Kaiser
- Tuesday, Aug. 28, 2 to 3 pm, 10325 Franklin
Printing documents from your computer doesn’t require the logon procedure because you are already logged on to your computer, and user data is captured from the active staff directory.
Charges for copying will be the same as for printing; that is, $.02 for black-and-white printing/copying and $.18 for color, with charges assessed per click (i.e., a double-sided or two-page document counts as two clicks). Faxing and scanning will not be recharged.
For more details or answers to your questions about Printing Smarter: