Plan your own outing on Staff Appreciation Thursday
Everyone’s talking about Taco Tuesday, but Blue & Gold Thursday is your chance to create your own appreciation day during Staff Appreciation Week, coming to UCOP Sept. 17 to 20.
On Thursday, Sept. 20, you can schedule activities within your own unit, your department or just a couple folks you never have the chance to see outside of work. Dress is casual as well as blue & gold. And managers have been encouraged to provide release time for staff to take a long lunch, plan a potluck, take a stroll or visit a favorite spot nearby.
The Oakland Museum (OMCA), for example. Located just down the street or a quick BART ride from UCOP’s Oakland offices, the museum is one of several locations offering specials and discounts to UCOP staff on Thursday, Sept. 20. The museum will offer free admission all day to UCOP staff badge holders. If you like what OMCA has to offer, you might want to go back again for lunch at the Blue Oak Café or to check out their final Summer Nights event on Friday, Sept. 28, when the museum offers half-price admission from 5 to 9 p.m.
On Sept. 20, art is happening uptown too, with Oakland Art Murmur staff offering a free walking tour of seven local art galleries from 2 to 4 p.m., beginning at Chandra Cerrito Contemporary and ending with refreshments at Slate Contemporary. Only 25 people can be accommodated, so contact Danielle Fox today at firstname.lastname@example.org to sign up.
Other restaurants and shops offering specials and discounts to UCOP staff on Thursday, Sept. 20 (remember to take your staff badge, please) include:
- A City Obsession, 10 percent off new items and 15 percent off sale items
- City Bloom, 10 percent off any purchase
- Faz Restaurant, $5 off lunch and free appetizer at happy hour
- Fountain Café, large fresh cookie with lunch purchase
- Lake Chalet, $19 for a two-course, set-menu lunch (please reserve at 510-208-5253)
- Max’s, 10 percent off total bill
- Metro Crepes, free beverage with lunch purchase
- Mr. Pizza Man, free beverage ticket with pizza purchase & VIP Card
- Oakland Marriott, 20 percent off lunch and happy hour (beer & wine $4)
- Rebel Dog, $5 for a dog, drink and chips
- Show & Tell Boutique, 40 percent off any purchase
- Yoppi Yogurt, 15 percent off between 12 and 2 p.m.