There’s still time for donations to OPSA book project
You have until Thursday, Nov. 1, to make your donation to the OP Staff Assembly’s book project, the drive to collect books nominated by the California Young Reader Medal (CYRM) program for the Oakland Unified School District.
The project has collected dozens of books and about $1,000 in donations over the past three months. Check your local bookstores or online booksellers to purchase the books listed below or gently used contemporary fiction titles appropriate for ages pre-K to 12 (see the CYRM website for past winners).
Cash donations (in the form of checks only, please, made out to OP Staff Assembly) are also accepted. Just place your books or checks in the donation boxes located throughout UCOP’s Oakland office locations.
The Staff Assembly has divided OP locations into teams to focus on specific books, one list for each class level as listed below. But any area can donate any of the books or other titles as described above. Just make sure to have them in by Nov. 1. Or make a donation directly via the Friends of the Oakland Public School Libraries website.
Team 1: Franklin floors 5, 6, 7 and 8 (young adult titles):
- Matched by Ally Condie
- Beautiful Creatures by Kami Garcia and Margaret Stohl
- The Things a Brother Knows by Dana Reinhardt
Team 2: Franklin floors 9, 10, 11 and 12 (intermediate level titles):
- Eleven by Patricia Reilly Giff
- The Giant Slayer by Iain Lawrence
- Where the Mountain Meets the Moon by Grace Lin
Team 3: Kaiser floors 3, 5, 6 and 7; Office of the Treasurer (middle school/junior high level titles):
- Invisible Lines by Mary Amato
- Wild Things by Clay Carmichael
- Out of My Mind by Sharon Draper
Team 4: Kaiser floors 10 and 12 and 20th St. Building (primary grade titles):
- A Bedtime for Bear by Bonny Becker. Illustrated by Kady MacDonald Denton.
- Bats at the Library by Brian Lies
- The Sandwich Swap by Her Majesty Queen Rania Al Abdullah, with Kelly DiPucchio. Illustrated by Tricia Tusa
- Memoirs of a Goldfish by Devin Scillian. Illustrated by Tim Bowers
- We Are in a Book! by Mo Willems
Team 5: UC Press and Lawrence Berkeley National Lab (picture books for older readers):
- Nubs: The True Story of a Mutt, a Marine and a Miracle by Brian Dennis
- Nurse, Soldier, Spy: The Story of Sarah Edmonds, A Civil War Hero by Marissa Moss
- The Junkyard Wonders by Patricia Polacco