Learn about Career Tracks, coming to UCOP April 1
Career Tracks, UCOP’s new job classification structure to improve compensation, talent management and career planning capabilities, is on schedule for introduction to the OP community on April 1, 2013.
As many of you know from previous communications, the program is designed to eliminate UCOP’s outdated job structure and replace it with a more transparent classification system that will align jobs with similar positions internally and in the external marketplace. The program also supports the development of career paths that enhance career mobility and help focus employee development activities.
Career Tracks is part of a systemwide effort that has already been implemented at UC Berkeley and UC Merced and will ultimately be implemented at all UC locations at all levels. (Note that the April 1 date does not apply to UC Press employees, who will be notified of their implementation date later this spring.)
The most important thing to know about Career Tracks is that it will not affect your job duties or function, your working title (“business card” title) or your current compensation.
You can find out more about the program at a number of open sessions and ReadyTalk webinars being held in the coming weeks. Participation is voluntary, but all non-represented employees will benefit from attending one of the 60-minute sessions.
Seating at the Franklin and Kaiser sessions is on a first-come, first-served basis, so check the dates below and plan to arrive early to ensure your seat:
- Thursday, March 21, 2:30 to 3:30 p.m., Franklin Lobby 1 Conference Room
- Tuesday, March 26, 11 a.m. to 12 noon, ReadyTalk webinar*
- Wednesday, March 27, 1 to 2 p.m., Ready Talk webinar*
- Thursday, March 28, 11 a.m. to 12 noon, ReadyTalk webinar*
- Thursday, March 28, 3 to 4 p.m., 10325 Franklin
- Thursday, March 28, 4 to 5 p.m., 10325 Franklin
- Wednesday, April 3, 9:30 to 10:30 a.m., ReadyTalk webinar*
- Thursday, April 4, 9 to 10 a.m., Franklin Lobby 1 Conference Room
- Thursday, April 4, 10 to 11 a.m., Franklin Lobby 1 Conference Room
- Thursday, April 4, 11 a.m. to 12 noon, Franklin Lobby 1 Conference Room
- Tuesday, April 9, 2:30 to 3:30 p.m., Franklin Lobby 1 Conference Room
- Thursday, April 11, 9:30 to 10:30 a.m., 512 Kaiser
- Thursday, April 11, 11:00 a.m. to 12:00 noon, 512 Kaiser
*To access the webinar, dial 866-740-1260 (toll-free in U.S. and Canada) and access code 9870969. Find meeting materials online at http://www.readytalk.com/?ac=9870969.
Career Tracks progress
Since work began on the program about 12 months ago, the UCOP HR and Compensation teams, working in conjunction with UCOP managers, have “mapped” nearly 500 job titles to the external labor market, taking into account that most OP functions also exist in other organizations.
A new salary range structure will also be implemented to support the consistent and equitable alignment of jobs both within UCOP and with the external market. This process is valuable because it lends relevance to external as well as to internal career paths UCOP employees may pursue.
You can find a number of resources, including FAQs, program milestones and more, on the Career Tracks SharePoint site. (All staff can log into the SharePoint site using their UCOP user name and password.)
Questions? Please contact your HR support, Compensation Consultant Karen Berardi at Karen.Berardi@ucop.edu or 510-987-0869, or Director of Compensation Terry Weinstein at Terry.Weinstein@ucop.edu or 510-987-0874.