Staff Appreciation Week: Get ready to be appreciated
The photo booth will be back, along with chicken, beef or veggie tacos. There are still spaces for volunteers at the Alameda County Food Bank and the Oakland Zoo on Thursday. And the Talent Show lineup will blow your socks off.
Staff Appreciation Week is coming Sept. 30 to Oct. 4, so get ready to be appreciated!
Among the headliners for the Oct. 4 Talent Showcase are Ishtory (Ishtar Peeler and Tory Hall, who made their debut at last year’s talent show) and the Uke-Cs. But bet you didn’t know that vocalist and Executive Vice President Nathan Brostrom as well as violinist and Managing Counsel Margaret Wu will also be among the 11 acts at the event Friday, Oct. 4, 2:30 to 4:30 p.m. in the Kaiser building auditorium. Service milestones will also be announced, and wine and cheese will be served.
Oct. 3 volunteer outings
There are still openings to do volunteer work at the Oakland Zoo and the Alameda County Food Bank on Thursday, Oct. 3. UCOP is organizing two groups, one to volunteer at the Oakland Zoo in the morning and another for the Alameda County Food Bank in the afternoon. Bus transportation to and from UCOP offices will be provided.
The deadline to register is tomorrow, Wednesday, Sept. 18. See details below and contact Paul Lechner at Paul.Lechner@ucop.edu to sign up.
Oakland Zoo, 9777 Golf Links Road in Oakland
- What: Work involves making enrichment items for zoo animals, cleaning animal exhibits prior to zoo opening and other projects (does not include interacting with zoo animals).
- When: Bus departs Franklin at 8:15 a.m. and departs Oakland Zoo at 11:30 a.m.
- Number of volunteers: Up to 50
- Notes: Dress for any weather; wear long pants and sleeves and close-toed work shoes; bring a sun hat, gloves, water and a snack.
Alameda County Food Bank, 7900 Edgewater Drive in Oakland
- What: Work involves helping sort and box fresh produce and nonperishable food for distribution to the food bank’s partner agencies.
- When: Bus departs Franklin 12 p.m. and departs food bank at 3:30 p.m.
- Number of volunteers: Up to 40
- Notes: Work is done inside, but wear close-toed shoes and bring a light jacket in case of cool weather.
Here’s the full lineup of the week’s activities:
- Monday, Sept. 30, 8 to 10 a.m.: Rooftop Breakfast, Franklin fifth floor rooftop garden
- Tuesday, Oct. 1, 11:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m.: Carnival Midway, Franklin fifth floor rooftop garden
- Wednesday, Oct. 2, 11:15 a.m. to 1:30 p.m.: Brown bag lunch with live music, Franklin fifth floor rooftop garden
- Thursday, Oct. 3: Community Day and departmental activities
- Friday, Oct. 4, 2:30 to 4:30 p.m.: Talent Showcase and Service Milestone Awards, Kaiser building auditorium
If you’d like to help staff any of the OP events, contact Barbara Heilmann at Barbara.Heilmann@ucop.edu.