Reminder: Don’t use UCOP Mail Services for your holiday mail
Sure, it’s convenient to have your personal package delivered to or sent from the office, especially during the busy holiday season.
But policy prohibits mail services at any University of California location from sending or receiving personal packages, just as it prohibits personal use of any university resource. Since all deliveries go through the mailroom for security purposes, this applies to the U.S. Postal Service, FedEx, UPS and all other couriers.
“UC mail services are for official university business only,” said Steven Murray, director of UCOP’s Building and Administrative Service Center. “They draw on limited university resources, and the university cannot assume liability for personal deliveries made to UCOP.”
There are many alternative services to use when you’re expecting a package but won’t be home to receive it. Besides asking a friend, family or neighbors for help, you can use these vendors to receive and send your packages:
- Fed Ex Office Print & Ship Center, 500 12th St., Oakland
- U.S. Post Office, 1301 Clay St., Oakland
- UPS Store, 1714 Franklin St., Oakland
- Amazon, 4193 Piedmont Ave., Oakland
Many services now offer customized delivery options when you have a tracking number:
- FedEx Delivery Manager
- Get the U.S. Mail You Missed Redelivered
- Change Your UPS Delivery
- Amazon Locker, where you can have your Amazon packages shipped and stored for pickup.