LaSA tamale sale raises $1,100 for scholarships
Thanks to the generosity (and appetites) of UCOP staff, LaSA’s Dec. 12 tamale and pastry sale raised $1,100 for the non-profit Chicana/Latina Foundation (CLF). CLF empowers Chicanas/Latinas through personal, educational and professional advancement. Each year CLF awards merit-based scholarships of $1,500 each to Latina college students.
The delicious tamales and pastries drew a long line of eager UCOP staff to the Franklin lobby. In addition to the food sales, two gift baskets packed with treats were raffled off, with Joanna Trammell and Melissa Amescua the lucky winners.
LaSA members worked hard as a team to make the sale of nearly 1200 tamales a success. LaSA Chair Juliann Martinez offered special shout-outs to:
- Amescua, for helping sort and bag tamales on a Sunday afternoon
- Alina Tejera, for helping update the LaSA website, setting up the sale and handing out tamales
- Mike Zelaya, for helping with sale set-up and carrying several hundred tamales into the Franklin lobby
- Patricia Lencioni, for creating table flyers
- Belinda Vea and Rosie Rojas-Ramos, for putting together two beautiful baskets for the raffle
- Moira Perez, for sourcing tasty pastries that sold out quickly
- Wendy Arbeit and Belinda Vea, for helping with set-up and handing out tamales
- Barbara Heilmann, for stepping in as cashier when LaSA members were frantically distributing tamales
- Jenne Vargas-Maes, for being cashier, selling pastries and remaining calm in the face of a long line of UCOP staff eager for their tamales
Image on home page of Link: Recent recipients of CLF scholarships.
The Latino Staff Association (LaSA) is an employee organization that promotes the general welfare and interests of Latinos at UCOP. Membership in LaSA is open to all UCOP employees and retirees who wish to participate in carrying out the objectives of the association. Visit LaSA’s website for more information.