Celebrate Bike to Work Day and Month with fun events and giveaways!
UC employees are ahead of the curve: More than half of us already commute to work by bike, public transit, walking or carpool – twice the statewide rate! But we can still do better. UC’s goal is to reduce solo driving at all its locations by 10 percent by 2025, and get it down to less than 40 percent by 2050.
If you’re still stuck behind the steering wheel, May is a good time to try something new because it’s Bike to Work Month. Check out these fun events and helpful resources for bicyclists:
Bike to Work Day
On Thursday, May 11, the Bay Area will celebrate Bike to Work Day. You can join the fun with these special events:
- Bike energizer stations will be located throughout the Bay Area so you can get refreshments along your route.
- You can enjoy the annual pancake breakfast, transportation fair and raffle from 7 to 9 a.m. at Oakland City Hall.
- After work, you can head to the Latham Square Happy Hour and enjoy music, dancing, beverages and local food trucks from 5 to 8 p.m.
Bike to Work Month
You can participate in bike-related events throughout May:
- Join a UCOP team competing to log the most miles in the Team Bike Challenge. For more information, email Ryan.Chan@ucop.edu.
- Attend a bike decorating party at the Oakland Museum on Friday, May 12, or take part in an East Bay Punk History ride on Sunday, May 21. For more information about these events: http://wobo.org/bike-to-work-day/
- Check out information on all East Bay events: www.Bikeeastbay.org/btwd
- See more S.F. Bay Area events: www.youcanbikethere.com
UCOP resources for bicyclists
UCOP provides year-round resources to support its employees bicycling to work in Oakland:
Bikes can be securely parked in the employee garage. To have bike-parking authorization added to your UCOP employee ID card, contact the Work Management Center at firstname.lastname@example.org. Processing may take a few hours, so be sure to arrange this before biking to work.
Showers and day-use lockers are located by the elevator on the 9th floor. (Bring your own toiletries and towel.)
To get Kaiser building access to parking and showers, contact Kaiser Building Management at KaiserCenter@Swigco.com.
415 20th St. building
A shower is located on the fourth floor.
Bay Area resources for bicyclists
- 511 SF Bay Area: Bicycling Resource Guide
- BikeLink (secure bike parking at BART)
- Bike East Bay (formerly EBBC)
- Walk Oakland Bike Oakland
- Oakland Bicycle and Pedestrian Program
- San Francisco Bicycle Coalition
- Bikes on BART