Backpack drive for youth in need
If you’re looking for an easy and rewarding way to make a difference, consider joining your colleagues in Oakland and Sacramento who are holding a backpack drive in support of the Sacramento Children’s Home.
Unfortunately, many of the children and youth served by the Children’s Home cannot afford to buy proper school supplies. A new backpack can boost their confidence and self-esteem, and help them start the new school year on a path to success.
It’s easy to help out: Simply drop off your donations by August 26, and your colleagues will bring them to the Children’s Home!
What is needed
This year, we’re supporting high-school students, as most donations favor younger kids. Here’s the list of requested items:
- Backpacks (please no red or blue)
- Notebooks and composition books
- Paper (college and wide ruled)
- #2 Pencils
- Colored Pencils
- Glue and Glue Sticks
- Pencil boxes and pouches
- Calculators (regular and scientific)
How to participate
Donations are accepted through August 26. Once you’ve gathered yours, simply drop them off with each location lead and write an encouraging note to share with the recipient — a “future UC student”!
- Oakland donation lead: Kristine Luken, 1111 Franklin Street, Office 12203
- Sacramento donation lead: Betty Taylor, 1130 K Street, Suite 340