Holiday office decorations: Put safety first
The holiday season is nearly upon us! If you’re feeling the urge to deck out your office, please keep yourself and your coworkers safe. Familiarize yourself with the full UCOP Office Decoration Guidelines and follow these important instructions from the Business Administrative Service Center:
- Make sure decorations do not obstruct exit signs, fire extinguishers, fire alarms or other office safety features.
- Do not decorate corridors — they must remain open.
- Make certain all decorations are marked as non-combustible or flame-retardant. (Not all artificial trees are!)
- Use only UL-listed lights in perfect condition. Assign a staff member to turn them off at the end of the day.
- Do not light any open flames, such as candles.
- Use only UL-listed grounded extension cords that are in excellent condition and have fuse receptacles.
- Do not create tripping- or fire-hazards by running electrical cords across walkways, tacking them to walls or plugging them into power strips.
- If you bring in a natural tree, select one that is fresh and has had flame-retardant treatment. Maintain your tree in a stand and water it daily. Check with your building’s management to find out how your tree must be delivered to the office.
Questions? Contact Roman Starno.Tags: holiday decorations, safety