Link: UCOP's e-newsletter

Stay Informed. Stay Connected.

From President Drake: My priorities for the future

The following message was published in UCnetwork on Sept. 21, 2022.

In all that we do, the University’s mission of teaching, research and public service leads to palpable progress for California and the world.

Over the past couple of years, I have had the opportunity to talk with students, faculty, staff and alumni. I have worked with our Board of Regents and leaders in Sacramento to learn how UC can best help California tackle the biggest challenges ahead. And I have reflected deeply on where we should focus our efforts to maximize our impact on the state, not just tomorrow but for decades to come.

All of these conversations and perspectives have helped bring into focus a set of priorities for my presidency:

• Expanding opportunity and excellence;
  • Leading on climate change;
  • Strengthening an inclusive, respectful, and safe university community; and
  • Promoting health across California, including its most vulnerable communities.

Together, we can continue the good work already underway in these priority areas and accelerate our efforts where we can. You can learn more about these priorities here, and we’ll share additional details as we move forward.

As UCLA alum and tennis legend Arthur Ashe once said, “True heroism is remarkably sober, very undramatic. It is not the urge to surpass all others at whatever cost, but the urge to serve others at whatever cost.” I see that heroism at work at the University of California every day. Thank you for all that you do to make our university a force for good in the world.

President Michael V. Drake, M.D.
UC President

Tags: ,

Leave your comment here