Link: UCOP's e-newsletter

Stay Informed. Stay Connected.

10-Second Bio: Julienne Palbusa, NAIPISA Steering Committee member

Institutional research analyst Julienne Palbusa

Institutional research analyst Julienne Palbusa is a member of the NAIPISA Steering Committee and a former Division I field hockey player.

Link is proud to partner with the Office of Workplace Inclusion and Belonging to highlight employee resource group (ERG) leaders who are volunteering their time to build UCOP’s culture and community.

Institutional Research Analyst Julienne Palbusa is a member of the Native American, Indigenous, and Pacific Islander Staff Association (NAIPISA) Steering Committee and a former Division I athlete! Learn what inspires Julienne at work, at home and within NAIPISA.

Meet Julienne

Name: Julienne Palbusa

Title: Institutional research analyst

Department/unit: Institutional Research and Academic Planning

Location: Oakland [xučyun (Huichin) Territory – Unceded Ohlone Land]

When you started working at UCOP: June 2018

What you do at UCOP in five words or less: Data-driven analyses supporting UC students

The best part about working for OP: I enjoy understanding the undergraduate and graduate student experience, advocating for marginalized student populations at the systemwide level and producing work that informs decision-making that positively impacts UC students. Working at OP is high-impact work.

What’s something your colleagues don’t know about you? I am a former Division I athlete — I played field hockey collegiately.

Share one weird fact about the town you grew up in: I grew up in Virginia Beach, Virginia, and share the same hometown as musical talents The Neptunes (Pharell Williams and Chad Hugo) and Timbaland.

If you could have any job in the world (besides the one you have now), it would be…  a nanny for baby pandas! I’m a sucker for cute animals.

Employee resource group you lead/colead: Native American, Indigenous, and Pacific Islander Staff Association (NAIPISA)

How long you’ve been a member: Since its founding in Fall 2020

What’s your favorite part about belonging to this ERG: I like that NAIPISA highlights issues and histories impacting Native American, Indigenous and Pacific Islanders and tries to find ways to improve the representation of Native folks at UCOP. NAIPISA has been a great group and space for me to connect with others. I’ve learned about the work of Native scholars within UC and in California. I have become more familiar with key issues, such as recruiting and retaining Native American and Indigenous students and UC’s compliance with the Native American Graves Protection and Repatriation Act (NAGPRA). The camaraderie among all the leaders and members of all the ERGs at UCOP is also beautiful and special. I appreciate the sense of community that the Employee Resource Groups provide.

Why do you hope other colleagues will consider joining your ERG: Please join! NAIPISA is open to all individuals who advocate for the well-being of Native Americans, Indigenous people, and Pacific Islanders at the University of California (students, faculty, and staff). We welcome you!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The 10-Second Bio is one of Link’s most popular features, and for a good reason.

We all like to learn about our colleagues — what they do and enjoy about working at UCOP and what makes them tick. If you’ve never submitted a bio, we invite you to do so. It only takes a few minutes and it’s an easy, fun way for us all to get to know the people we work with. Submit your 10-Second Bio to Link!

Tags: , , ,

Leave your comment here