UCOP wins technology award
Ten UC teams, including one from UCOP, were named winners of the 2010 Larry L. Sautter Award for developing innovative technology systems related to academic recruitment, clinical trials, processing payroll charges and other services.
Associate Vice President for Information Resources and Communications David J. Ernst announced the winners July 19 at the UC Computing Services Conference in Los Angeles.
Sponsored by the UC Information Technology Leadership Council, the awards recognize IT innovations that advance the University’s mission of teaching, research, public service and patient care, or that improve the effectiveness of business or administrative processes.
Six awards and four honorable mentions were presented. The 2010 winners are as follows:
Golden Awards for Innovation in Information Technology
• Academic Personnel Recruit enables applicants for faculty positions to apply online and allows UC departments to monitor the progress of the application. The tool, a UC Irvine and UC San Diego collaboration, moved a cumbersome paper process online and transformed a UCI recruitment tool into a multi-campus application.
• Cohort Discovery allows researchers to more efficiently identify research subjects for clinical trials using patient databases while adhering to patient privacy regulations. Developed by the UC Davis Health System, the application strips personal information from the data while providing the ability to search for specific demographic characteristics and diagnoses.
• Electronic Payroll Expense Transfer Web Service transforms a paper process for moving payroll charges between accounts into a web application. The project, a collaboration between UC San Diego and UC Office of the President, reduces the average time it takes to process and post a payroll expense transfer by 50 percent and allows electronic tracking of the status of transfers. All UC campuses can use this web service.
Silver Awards for Achievement in University Computing
• Blink 2.0, UC San Diego’s intranet for faculty and staff, was redesigned with new features including staff and faculty-focused news, direct links to the most frequently used tools and the ability for individuals to customize the home page.
• Online Graduate Admissions System expands UC Riverside’s online graduate application process to include the entire admissions process, from application and review through decision-making and post-admissions processing.
• Student Challenge Assessment & Resource Allocation (SCARAB) enables UC Berkeley students with disabilities to request accommodation services via an online system designed to be accessible for users with a wide range of disabilities.
• Chancellor’s Friday Letters (UC Riverside)
• MyEvents (UC San Diego)
• Financial Aid – A Phased ERP Approach (UC Riverside)
• PhysicianConnect (UCD Health System)
To be eligible for an award, projects must be operational at a UC campus. Because a goal of the program is to encourage the sharing of innovative solutions across the University, all project applications are posted on the program website after the awards announcement. Project descriptions are posted on the Sautter Award Program website.