President Napolitano holds Web chat conversation with UC students
President Janet Napolitano on Jan. 28 hosted a Web chat with UC students to let them know what her priorities are and to hear directly from them about their concerns, hopes and challenges.
Student panelists and online participants discussed a variety of topics, including tuition, undocumented students, diversity and student veterans.
The chat was moderated by UCOP’s own Sarah Fidelibus, program manager of UC Curriculum Integration in Student Affairs. The five student panelists were:
- Cinthia Flores, UC student regent, student at UC Irvine School of Law
- Lewis Luartz, graduate student at UC Riverside
- Paul Malone, president, Student Veterans Organization, UC Santa Barbara
- Safeena Mecklai, board chair, UC Student Association, student at UC Berkeley
- Kristen Taketa, UCLA Daily Bruin reporter, student at UCLA
The Jan. 28 event was the first in a series of Web chats President Napolitano plans to hold with students, faculty and staff as she engages with the UC community. Since taking office last September, Napolitano has visited every UC campus to listen and learn from students and employees of the university. She sees the Web chats as one of several excellent vehicles for fostering ongoing conversations with the UC community.