UC toasts its inaugural class of Presidential Public Service Fellows

Fresh from internships in Washington D.C. and Sacramento, UC’s first group of Presidential Public Service Fellows came together at UCOP recently to be honored for their service and to share their experiences.

“I felt like my work was making a difference for people in my own community, which for me was the most important thing,” said UC Santa Cruz senior Katiuska Pimentel-Vargas, who worked as a health and education fellow in U.S. Sen. Dianne Feinstein’s office. “I never thought I’d have the opportunity to work in the U.S. Senate and to work alongside people who are making a change for my own state.”

The program is now recruiting its next class of fellows, and will select students from every undergraduate campus. Students have opportunities to work within state or federal agencies, or with elected officials, advocacy groups, scientific organizations, public relations firms or the news media.

Read full article and watch a video of the Presidential Fellows meeting with President Napolitano and other UCOP leaders.