President Napolitano visits Stockton high school students, says UC is committed to them

President Napolitano joined community leaders at Stockton’s Franklin High School on Friday to speak to 500 college-track high school students about how a world-class education was within their reach.  In her first visit to Stockton as UC President, Napolitano stressed the many ways the university is committed to helping students like them, including through need-based financial aid that covers the full cost of tuition for almost 60 percent of UC’s California students. She also discussed the expansion of the university’s Transcript Evaluation Service, designed to help students stay on track to be eligible for college.

“Now I believe yes, I can go to college!” said senior and honors student Karla Santos, who is striving to be the first in her family to go to college. Coming from a low-income family, she had feared her dreams to study science and become a doctor would be unaffordable. But after hearing from Napolitano and other officials, including Stockton mayor — and Franklin High graduate — Michael Tubbs, she said, “There is no stopping me! I see there is nothing standing in my way — I just have to believe in myself.”

Read the full article

Photo: Robert Durell