Performance Appraisals: Time for your mid-year goal check-in
Performance Appraisal mid-year goal check-ins, beginning in November and ending Dec. 15, are designed to help you and your team stay on track toward your shared goals. This is your chance to make sure your goals support the goals of your department and division and to discuss the support you need to continue your professional development.
During the mid-year check-in, take time to sit down with your manager or supervisor and:
- Review goals to ensure everything is on track
- Ensure compliance goals are completed on time
- Determine next steps and support needed on goals
- Request feedback on achievements and coaching for development
- Discuss professional learning and/or other resources needed for growth and development
Required compliance goal for all policy-covered employees
The mid-year goal check-in form and the annual performance review form include a compliance goal. All staff are required to complete compliance trainings and be current on their annual performance review to be eligible for the fiscal year 2018-2019 Merit Process.
Staff who have overdue compliance trainings need to complete them no later than Nov. 5, 2018, prior to the mid-year goal check-in process, and remain current with compliance training through the review period.
Documenting the mid-year check-in process
The mid-year check-in process is tracked and documented in Halogen, with three critical steps that must be completed by Dec. 15, 2018:
- Employee goal-setting: By Nov. 9, employees enter or update individual goals (My Performance > Goals), aligned with the department and division goals shared by their manager or supervisor. Employees can create and edit goals throughout the year, but only goals created or edited after June 1, 2018, will be displayed in the manager’s mid-year review form.
- Manager review: Manager meets with the employee and submits the mid-year review form to document the employee’s progress.
- Employee review and signoff: After the manager submits the review form in Halogen, it is available for the employee to update and approve.
Both employees and supervisors/managers can access dates, information, short online training, job-aids and sample forms on the Performance Appraisal Learning Resources page.
Support tools and training
To get as much as possible out of the mid-year check-in process, take advantage of resources to help you set meaningful goals and navigate the Halogen process.
Attend a brown bag for hands-on support setting goals:
- Thursday, Nov. 15, 12 to 1 p.m., Franklin 10325
- Tuesday, Nov. 27, 12 to 1 p.m., Franklin 10325
E-courses are available in the UC Learning Center (UCLC):
- UCOP Creating SMART Goals and Entering Goals in Halogen (30 minutes)
- UCOP Halogen Mid-Year Check-In course for Managers (10 minutes)
Job aids are available on the Performance Appraisal Learning Resources page.
- Add or edit a goal
- Complete the mid-year check-in