“Careers with UC”: Seasoned advice for UC professionals
On Tuesday, April 9, the UC Virtual Career series presented “Careers with UC,” an hour-long panel discussion about employment and career opportunities within the University of California system.
Yvette Gullatt, UC vice president for diversity and engagement and interim vice president for student affairs — as well as a UC Berkeley alumna with more than 30 years’ experience as a UC employee — moderated the panel. Special guests included:
- David Odato, UCSF associate vice chancellor of Human Resources and senior vice president of Human Resources, UCSF Health
- UCLA alumna Gwynn Benner, assistant vice provost, student success and co-director, First-Generation Initiative at UC Santa Cruz
- Donna Salvo, executive director, Systemwide Talent Management
Top takeaways for building or growing your UC career
- Each UC campus has its own culture, which is a reflection of its size, geography and other factors. Before applying to a campus, make sure to research these factors to make sure it’s the right fit for you.
- The personal characteristics needed to succeed at UC are consistent systemwide: agility, collaboration, cultural competency, a mission-driven focus and respect for others rise to the top.
- UC hiring managers are looking for candidates who stand out from the pack. When you’re invited for an interview, do your homework, come prepared and follow these tips:
- As a current UC employee, explain how your skills are transferrable between UC positions and divisions
- When responding to questions, offer concise, clear answers
- Demonstrate your passion and curiosity for the role you’re applying for
- Highlight your experiences working for and supporting diverse clients and students
- Develop thoughtful questions to ask your interviewers (What skills do I need to be successful in this position? How does this division support the goals of the university? How do this department’s goals align with national trends in education?)
- It’s possible to change your career path if you’re ready to try something new. Requesting informational interviews, finding mentors, identifying how your existing skills can apply to new opportunities and tailoring your resume towards your goals are key to a successful transition.
- UC offers free career development tools like self-assessments and professional development tutorials for employees through the My UC Career portal.
Watch the panel and learn more
Watch the full episode for more information on the points above, as well as an overview of the candidate experience — from searching for jobs to the application portal, interview process and hiring decision.
Ready to expand your UC career? Check out the following resources:
- My UC Career landing page
- University of California job search
- University of California LinkedIn page
Next up: Culture + Career
On May 8, from 12-1 p.m., catch the next course in the Virtual Career Series, Culture + Career. Discover how your culture comes into play in the workplace
- Find out how workplace culture can impact your productivity, mobility and success
- Get tips for evaluating a company’s culture, beyond its mission statement
- Learn how to identify whether a company is a good fit for you
- Get advice on how you can be your authentic self in the workplace
This course is free for UC alumni, staff and friends. To reserve your place, register online now.
About the Virtual Career Series
Launched in early 2019, the UC Virtual Career Series — produced by UCOP and all 10 UC Alumni Associations — offers monthly high-impact webinars that provide insights and information for UC alumni and staff to launch, grow and expand their career opportunities. Mark your calendar to save the date for upcoming webinars and visit the Virtual Career Series website for registration information as each event approaches.
- LGBTQ @ Work
June 11, 2019, 12-1 p.m.
- Marketing Your Ph.D. for a Non-Academic Career
July 9, 2019, 12-1 p.m.
- Leveraging Your UC Network
August 2019 TBD
- Leveraging LinkedIn
September 2019 TBD
- Professional Insights from Career Coaches
October 2019 TBD
- Inside the Hiring Process: Insights from Recruiters
November 2019 TBD
Just learning about the Virtual Career Series today? No problem. You can view all past webinars on the Virtual Career Series website. Select a link below to watch the course on YouTube.
- Navigating the job search: Tips from recruiters and hiring managers
- Flex jobs, remote work + the gig economy
- Unique ways to use your degree in the Humanities
- UC Career Webinar: Career Design + Crafting a Stand-out Resume
- UC Career Webinar: Tips for Career Fair Success + Effective Networking Strategies
Questions? Contact Katie Ward.Tags: learning and growth, professional development, virtual career series