Kick off your summer with local June events
Summer unofficially began Memorial Day Weekend, and it’s time to add some fun activities to your June calendar. Here are our top picks for events in every UCOP location.
Know of something fun that’s not listed here? Share it with your coworkers in the comments!
- First Friday Street Festival (first Friday of every month): If you haven’t yet experienced this monthly celebration, you’re in for a treat! On the first Friday of every month, Telegraph Avenue is closed to vehicle traffic from West Grand to 27th Street. Catch open galleries, street artists, performers — and amazing food from all corners of the globe.
- Temescal Street Fair (June 9): Hosted in the historic Temescal district, this street fair will feature live music on three stages, great food from local restaurants and a fun zone with carnival rides for the kids. Conveniently located a block away from MacArthur BART.
- Lakefest Oakland 2019 (June 22): This annual, free, music, food and culture festival takes place on the shores of Lake Merritt. Enjoy performances from local bands, DJs and dance groups, as well as various refreshments at its beer garden. This year’s festival will feature a Tech Pavilion showcasing amazing VR experiences created by local students.
- Juneteenth Celebration (June 1): In recognition of African-American history, struggles, sacrifices, contributions and accomplishments, the 19th Annual Riverside Juneteenth Celebration will host a mini-museum, health screenings and food and merchandise vendors, as well as gospel, jazz, rock and hip-hop performances.
- Women in Graphic Novels (June 14): Roxane Gay, best known for her incredible essay collection, “Bad Feminist,” will join Nalo Hopkinson to talk about their forays into the world of graphic novels. Moderated by Rachelle Cruz, this conversation will also sell a bundle of Gay’s “The World of Wakanda” and Hopkinson’s “The House of Whispers.”
- Riverside Summerfest (June 18): Join the city of Riverside to kick off the Summer Free Picnics. NFL player Luis Castillo will make an appearance at this free barbeque, which will also feature a farmers’ market, wellness booths and performances by local DJs.
- DC JazzFest (June 14): The ultimate summer festival experience, DC JazzFest will host award-winning, internationally-recognized artists, as well as DC’s finest jazz musicians. Enjoy a weekend of jazz, artistry, dancing, unique vendors, food and drink at The Wharf.
- Giant National Capital BBQ Battle (June 23): Dubbed America’s Food and Music Festival, this barbeque will feature 30 bands on three stages, free food samples, celebrity chefs and special exhibits and attractions, like Nathan’s Famous Hotdog Eating Contest. Don’t forget to cheer on your favorite BBQ teams from around the country!
- Hack the Park Festival (June 1): North Laguna Park will be transformed into a tech wonderland for all ages that celebrates culture, innovation and community. Watch a drone show by Intel or presentations from scholars to show how tech skills can solve issues in their community.
- Celebrate OaxaCA (June 8): Celebrate the world-renowned art, drinks and music, brought to you by various indigenous master artisans from Oaxaca, Mexico. Festivities include live Oaxacan music, Calenda-style street parades and a kids’ art zone with free activities. Proceeds from the festival will help fund free family events at various schools and community centers throughout the Sacramento region.