7 strategies for growth during a crisis
The COVID-19 pandemic has effected everyone differently, creating a broad spread of challenges that will continue to impact us, even after a vaccine is introduced. But if you’re lucky, you can use this unusual time to focus on personal growth and moving forward, explained Ola Popoola, director of reporting and analytics for Institutional Research and Academic Planning, UCOP during a recent online course.
Here are 7 strategies for pursuing growth during a crisis:
- Express your pain: Acknowledge when you’re struggling — to yourself and to your loved ones. Leaning on your support network will help you get through this difficult time. Learn to accept what you cannot change.
- Get a better perspective: When you’re upset, it can be difficult to see what’s happening clearly, especially in emotional situations. Try to mentally insert a friend or relative into your situation, and picture the advice you would give to them in your place. Try to reorient yourself every day by considering what you might achieve.
- Embrace your crises: Part of accepting what you cannot change is being informed about your situation. Get the facts and consider what you can control — including surrounding yourself with positive people, avoiding stressful news cycles and, in this case, wearing a mask.
- Get an attitude adjustment: Make a conscious effort to adopt a positive, growth-oriented mindset, even if it doesn’t come naturally. To achieve anything, you must believe it’s possible.
- Seek new prospects and opportunities: Continue to stretch and grow so that when your community reopens, you’ll be in a better place. Try new things, expand your network and make new friends.
- Practice health and wellness. Don’t ignore your physical and emotional health. Practicing self-care is essential to succeeding in all aspects of life.
- Invest in your personal and professional development. Consider what you want to achieve, then create your personal mission and vision statements. Document and track your goals so you can measure progress over time.
We hope to share more classes with Ola soon! Find out about these and other upcoming Learning and Development opportunities by frequently checking the Link Classes & Workshops page. And, for more resources around personal growth during the pandemic, visit the Learning and Development Working and Wellness Catalog.Tags: COVID-19, Ola Popoola, personal development