New, simpler performance appraisals coming in September
UCOP HR is excited to announce the launch of our new performance appraisal process, STEP — Staff Talent Evaluation Process. STEP provides a streamlined, flexible evaluation experience designed to improve engagement and performance. STEP also includes ePerformance, a new integrated system that’s accessible within UCPath.
Inspired by UCOP staff and leaders
Beginning in early 2019, a cross-divisional team of UCOP colleagues conducted best-practice research and gathered feedback from leaders and employees on what they would like to see in an updated performance appraisal process. Employees sought more consistent feedback from managers, and managers wanted more flexibility and a simpler process. All agreed that it was important for the process to be meaningful and support enhanced performance.
With the launch of STEP for our FY20/21 performance cycle, we will retire the Halogen platform. However, there may be some overlap as we transition from one system and process for FY19/20 to the new process.
What’s new in STEP?
- Intensive mid-year and year-end conversations are replaced with simpler, quarterly check-ins
- Employees select two to three competencies, out of 10, that are most relevant to individual goals and role
- Four new discussion questions provide opportunities for feedback and coaching
- Year-end ratings have simpler, updated definitions and one overall rating
For the FY20/21 assessment process, you and your manager will meet to:
- Define your goals and select key competencies to focus on for the year
- Discuss progress during quarterly checkpoint conversations
- Have an end-of-year conversation in which you will evaluate your progress over the course of the year and receive your final rating
View a short video overview of STEP.
Training and resources
Managers and staff will attend one hour of required training courses through the UC Learning Center, and have the option to attend an instructor-led course:
- Three self-paced, 10 to 20-minute courses
- Process overview and timeline
- Creating goals and selecting competencies
- How to use ePerformance
- An optional virtual 90-minute, instructor-led course is also available, including discussion, practice and time for questions.
In addition to these courses, representatives from each division who participated in the Performance Appraisal Workgroup will hold STEP information sessions.
Sept. 22 &
|STEP info sessions||Performance Appraisal Workgroup members provide an overview of the new process to their divisions.|
|STEP system goes online and
self-paced training begins
|Employees and managers participate in three self-paced video trainings ranging from 10 – 20 minutes each.|
Oct. & Nov.
|Managers and employees attend an optional one-hour live interactive training session to learn the process and how to conduct goal and competency discussions.|
|By Dec. 1||Deadline for all goals to be entered into ePerformance||By Dec. 1, employees and managers must have completed all required training and goals entries.|
Additional information is available on the HR Your Careers webpage. For questions regarding your goals and appraisal process, please contact your manager or UCOP Human Resources business partner.