Opt in to a CA or DC COVID-19 exposure notification system
You have the power to protect yourself and your community from COVID-19. Add your phone to the fight with CA Notify or DC CAN: It’s easy, private, secure and 100% opt-in.
How it works
- Enable CA Notify if you’re in California or DC CAN in the District of Columbia. (See below for instructions.)
- CA Notify and DC CAN are completely voluntary and secure tools to notify people if they’ve been exposed to someone with COVID-19.
- CA Notify and DC CAN use Bluetooth technology to exchange random codes with the phones of others who have also opted in. You will receive an anonymous alert only if you were in close contact with another CA Notify or DC CAN user who tests positive for COVID-19.
- You can choose to send an anonymous alert to other CA Notify or DC CAN users if you test positive for COVID-19.
- Your privacy is protected. Your identity is not shared with other users or the app, and your location is not tracked.
UC led California’s rollout of CA Notify in partnership with the state of California. Researchers and entrepreneurs at UC San Diego Health developed the technology and app, then tested it at seven UC campuses before broadening the program for statewide use.
Watch a video about the Google/Apple contract tracing technology used in the CA Notify and DC CAN apps:
How to opt in
- Open your phone Settings
- Scroll to Exposure Notifications
- Turn on and select United States and California or Washington, D.C.
Android users: Download CA Notify or DC CAN through the Google Play store, then follow the activation prompts.
What to do if you receive an alert
If you receive an app notification about possible COVID-19 exposure, it will include instructions on self-isolation and testing. In addition to these health guidelines, there are UCOP-specific instructions you must follow depending on whether you work from home, on-site or have visited on-site within the last 14 days. Read the UCOP COVID-19 Notification FAQ (PDF). For additional questions regarding UCOP’s COVID-19 policies, contact UCOP-COVID19-Response@ucop.edu.
More information about the apps
Need help activating the app on your phone or have questions?
- For California, call (888) 421-9457 or visit CaNotify.ca.gov
- For DC, visit coronavirus.dc.gov/dccan
Tags: CA Notify, COVID-19, DC CAN