UCOP anti-racism efforts continue with task force discussions and new courses
Thank you to everyone who participated in the recent UCOP Community Conversations regarding anti-Asian violence. Your openness, vulnerability and willingness to engage with colleagues during this challenging time is a testament to the respectful and inclusive workplace culture that we work to cultivate at UCOP.
There are a number of upcoming initiatives and programs planned to support UCOP colleagues in our efforts to combat racism at all levels.
UCOP Anti-Racism Task Force Information Sessions
As President Drake mentioned in his recent UCnetwork article on efforts to counter racism at UC, the UCOP Anti-Racism Task Force issued its first report to President Drake in December. Read the report online here (PDF).
The Anti-Racism Task Force will be holding several information sessions over the next few weeks to allow colleagues to process the report results in a safe and respectful space.
- April 1: 9 – 9:50 a.m.
- April 2: 9 – 9:50 a.m.
- April 6: 2 – 2:50 p.m.
- April 7: 11 – 11:50 a.m.
Advance registration is not required. Attend using this Zoom link: https://UCOP.zoom.us/j/95685354152
Microaggression course series
“The term “microaggression” has become widely used and misunderstood. As we continue to develop more inclusive workplace practices, these interactive sessions — offered as a two-part course series — will help develop a shared understanding of how microaggressions can affect our work environment and organizational culture. Select each course title to register; part 1 is a prerequisite to part 2.
April 14, 10 a.m. – 12 p.m.; April 20, 2 – 4 p.m.; April 30, 10 a.m. – 12 p.m.
- Learn what microaggressions are and their underlying messages about distinct social groups
- Learn strategies for limiting the occurrences of microaggressions, at the individual and institutional level
- Discuss different approaches to responding to microaggressions
- Learn strategies for how to recover after learning you have delivered a microaggression
June 2, 2 – 4 p.m.; June 9, 1 – 3 p.m.
- Discuss when and how to respond to microaggressions
- Understand adaptive and maladaptive responses to microaggressions
- Learn organizational and structural interventions
- Role play activities to practice responding to microaggressions
- Learn tips and tools for how to recover from receiving a microaggression
- UCOP Anti-Racism Task Force website
- UCOP Faculty and Staff Assistance Program: Free for UCOP staff, services include individual counseling, consultation to managers and supervisors, and assisting in the investigation of threats and violence within the workplace
- UCOP Ombuds Office: Assistance dealing with workplace-related conflict and many additional resources
- UC anti-racism resources page: Toolkits, articles, webinars and more from our UC locations, including resources specific to anti-Asian racism
- Culture and Connectivity Initiative: Tools for well-being and self-care