We’re listening: Results from UCOP’s second COVID-19 Pulse Survey

The results are in from UCOP’s second pulse survey that focused on our workplace response to COVID-19. In addition to the topics included in the first UCOP pulse survey, this version included questions to assess employee perspectives on the offerings and resources we have developed in response to the pandemic. Developed in partnership with the President’s Advisory Committee on the Status of Women and OP Staff Assembly, these measures provide insight on how we can better support colleagues moving forward. New questions are noted with an asterisk (*) below.

Nearly 790 employees from all UCOP locations participated. From feelings about work/life balance to communication within teams, here are some of the takeaways. 

What we’re doing right

88% of UCOP employees are satisfied with how UCOP is handling the COVID-19 pandemic; feel well prepared to fulfill their job duties under the current conditions and are satisfied with internal communications regarding the pandemic’s impact on UCOP operations and staff. (Satisfaction regarding communications has increased eight points since June.)

• “I am extremely impressed with UCOP’s response to the COVID crisis, and truly believe that as an employer, UCOP cares deeply about the safety and well-being of its employees.”
  • “We have amazing communication, not to mention our IT team going above and beyond to resolve any issues. Working from home safe has been a blessing.”

87% of UCOP employees have found that their supervisor is supportive of balancing work and personal commitments that arise during COVID-19; 85% say they have the flexibility they need to balance work and personal responsibilities.*

• “I appreciate the efforts to accommodate my personal and work needs. This period of time would have been more difficult if I didn’t have the opportunity to be home with my kids.”
  • “UCOP cares about staff as people, not simply the work we produce. UCOP’s handling of this difficult situation has been exemplary and makes me proud to be part of this community.”

84% of UCOP employees believe that there are no substantial obstacles to doing their job well resulting from the way UCOP or their department is managing work during the COVID-19 pandemic.*

• “Working from home during the COVID-19 pandemic has shown how many job functions and types can be successful in a fully remote environment.”
  • “I hope that the option to work remotely will continue beyond the pandemic and that UCOP will continue to commit to a healthy work/life balance for staff.”
  • “Working from home full time is the best thing that has ever happened in my department. It can be done and done well. For me, working from home full time has proven to be more productive. I have less stress, am much healthier and am very, very happy!”

81% of UCOP employees say that their department has been active in communicating how the pandemic affects them; 81% are also comfortable discussing work-life challenges with their supervisor for workload-balancing assistance.*

• “I’m so grateful for the way that the leadership of my division, department and team have listened to the needs and concerns of staff throughout the COVID-19 pandemic.”
  • “Both my mother and mother-in-law passed away within two months of each other, one from COVID. My manager was beyond understanding and encouraged me to take whatever time I needed to grieve and handle final arrangements.

Where there’s room for growth

While the statistics below reflect a positive majority opinion, we will continue to work to better support employees for more satisfactory future results.

• 78% of UCOP employees believe that UCOP cares about their well-being. This reflects a 5% decrease since June 2020.
  • While 78% of employees indicated they are comfortable using leave options, if necessary, without fear of losing their jobs,* it is important to point out that all employees may take COVID-19-related leave without fear of reprisal. Learn more about COVID-19 leave options. For questions, contact your HR business partner.
  • 60% of UCOP employees believe that morale is generally high in their department and team.
  • 52% of UCOP employees say that UCOP’s health- and wellness-related initiatives and programs have encouraged them to maintain a healthy lifestyle. (See links below.)
  • Throughout the survey, managers and supervisors indicated a higher level of stress and need for help than individual employees. We are working on providing more resources in the future.

Resources to support you during the COVID-19 pandemic

Read the full survey results (PDF)

Thank you to everyone who shared their thoughts and perspectives by participating in the pulse survey. For questions, contact culture@ucop.edu.

Tags: ,