Please give: Blood donations are greatly needed

The American Red Cross, which provides about 40 percent of the nation’s blood supply, is experiencing its worst blood shortage in over a decade and has warned that some hospitals may have to delay surgeries and other medical procedures if the situation worsens.

Type O negative, the “so-called universal blood type,” is especially needed, but hospitals and blood donation centers are urging everyone, regardless of blood type, to consider making an appointment to give blood.

Read more from the UC Newsroom

Make an appointment to donate

Tags: ,

Comments ( 5 )

Have Something To Say ?

1. Jan Kehoe December 14, 2021 Reply

I am holding a blood drive this Saturday, December 18th at the old Office Depot on Davis Street in San Leandro. Please email me at Jan.Kehoe@ucop.edu if you’d like an appointment! Thanks!

2. Trish Dolan December 14, 2021 Reply

I donate regularly now in Pleasant Hill on Gregory Lane…if you live in WC, Lafayette, Orinda, etc. this location is easy to get to and lots of FREE parking! Staff at this ARC center are fabulous!

3. Jan Kehoe December 14, 2021 Reply

Hey Trish, I’m bringing cookies Saturday–they won’t have those in PH 🙂 But Yes, I’ve donated at Pleasant Hill and it is a great place to go too. Please, everybody that is eligible, just donate somewhere, wherever you can and as often as you are eligible!

4. Thuvan Le December 14, 2021 Reply

I miss Jan’s cookies so much. I am a regular donor at Elk Lodge in El Sobrante with free parking and less than 10 mins from my house. American Red Cross via FB is running a promotion: 🩸 Hurry in by 12/16 & we’ll send you a $10 Amazon.com Gift Card by email from Amazon. Get details & sign up at rcblood.org/3ylvVAL.
    OR 🩸 Come to give 12/17-1/2 for an exclusive long-sleeved T-shirt, ltd qty.

5. Jan Kehoe December 15, 2021 Reply

Great info Thuvan–so glad you are still donating! Keep savings lives!