This Friday: UCOP Pride shares the importance of restroom access
This Friday, UCOP Pride invites all colleagues to attend a community-based, virtual discussion on the importance of consistent access to safe restrooms.
At this session, we will:
- Explain what bathroom bans are and how and where they are being enacted
- Share how bathroom bans affect transgender and gender non-conforming people
- Reflect on how laws that limit restroom access can impact everyone
- Provide guidance for how you can to advocate for safe and inclusive restrooms within your social circles and community
Whether you’re familiar with the impact of bathroom bans, or just starting to learn about this topic, these sessions will benefit you. You will have an opportunity to reflect on questions about your own experiences, in pairs and small groups, with the goal of deepening your understanding, practicing active listening and developing your voice as an advocate.
- What: UCOP Pride presents Everybody’s Gotta Go: The Importance of Restroom Access
- When: Friday, July 14, 11:10 – 11:50 a.m.
- Where: Online, via Zoom (register for link)
- Registration: Register online here
Why this topic is critical now
This Pride month, UCOP Pride is both celebrating community and reckoning with a sobering reality. The Human Rights Campaign’s most recent report, LGBTQ+ Americans Under Attack, outlines how 2023 has been the worst year on record for anti-LGBTQ+ legislation. More than 525 bills were introduced in 41 states, over 220 of which explicitly target transgender people. Over 76 bills have been signed into law as of June 5, 2023 — more than any year on record, and more than double over last year. This means that in addition to the high profile “drag bans,” 21 states now have active transgender sports bans, 20 states have bans on gender-affirming care for youth and 9 states have bathroom bans. To be clear, these laws overwhelmingly target youth but make all LGBTQ+ people, and in particular transgender and gender non-conforming people, less safe, less comfortable and less protected in public spaces.
About UCOP Pride
UCOP Pride is an employee resource group dedicated to providing advocacy, education and community-building for the lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, queer, intersex, genderqueer and non-binary community, and its allies, within UCOP and beyond. Learn more about us at ucop.edu/pride.gender neutral bathrooms, inclusivity, UCOP Pride