The results are in: UCOP’s favorite lunch and break spots for 2023!
Link asked you to share where you like to enjoy your lunch and breaks when you’re back in the office. Here’s what your colleagues have shared.
Best place for coffee at UCDC: Tatte Bakery & Cafe
Best place to enjoy a break or snack outside of the UCDC office: “Taking a walk around DuPont Circle when the weather is nice is one of the best things about our location.” — Anonymous
Best place for a quick break at our Oakland offices: The fifth-floor patio was the crowd favorite by a landslide! Other favorite spots:
- Kaiser rooftop garden
- A corner meeting room in the Broadway building with exposed brick and big windows
- Fresh and Best Cafe 2
- Lovely’s Oakland
- Maya Halal Taqueria
- Oakland Street Food Co.
- Rio California
- Roasted and Raw
- Sobo Ramen
- Swan’s Market
- The Cook and Her Farmer
- World Famous Hotboys
Best place to enjoy a break or snack outside of the Oakland office: Modern Coffee received the most votes with The Caffe by Mr. Espresso a close second. Still, many additional businesses received shout-outs, including:
- Brewja Coffee
- Edith’s Pie
- Graze + Gather Co.
- High XII Café & Coffee
- Highwire Coffee Roasters
- Oaklandia Café x Bakery
- Yokee Milk Tea
Hot tips from Oakland:
- “Both Oaklandia and Roasted and Raw are black-owned. Roasted and Raw is vegan, but so good that you don’t miss the meat. Oaklandia Cafe has catering options if you’re hosting a breakfast or lunch meeting. Support our local businesses! And p.s. I also love Tay Ho (Vietnamese).” — Jill Erbland, administrative operations manager, UC National Labs
- “I have so many more recommendations! Best salad: Sweetgreen; best fried chicken: Aburaya; best cheap eats: Tian Jin Dumplings; best fancy-ish dinner: Mockingbird; best at the farmer’s market: Roli Roti or Cholita Linda; best pizza: Hoza Pizzeria; best cupcakes: Cupcakin’ or Cupcake Cove.” — Jackie DiOrio, records analyst
- “Maya is a women-owned Halal taqueria that has all the classics, plus plenty of veggie/vegan options. Call ahead, then walk over to pick it up at 14th and Webster. You can find their menu on Instagram at @_mayahalaltaqueria_ or on UberEats.” — Rana Freedman, director of integrated marketing
- “Rio California is a hidden gem within a hidden gem. Find the best jerk chicken in Oakland’s beautiful Preservation Park!” — Catherine Burns, senior trainer & content developer
- “Fresh and Best Cafe 2 makes banh mi on dutch crunch rolls and they’re so delicious! They will also make all of their salads vegan if you ask.” — Michelle Simone, communications manager
- “You need to try the pulled pork adobo sandwich or fried egg sandwich from Cafe Gabriela! Plus, the workers there are great! Yokee Milk Tea is best for boba!” — Anonymous
- “Graze + Gather Co. on Franklin and 11th is a cheese shop that has great snacks and sammies.” — Anonymous
- “Lovely’s has the best burger in town!” — Anonymous
- “At Ratto’s Italian Deli, get ‘The Jenny’ (tomatoes, pesto, fresh mozzarella) and add peppered salami. Maybe remove some of the onions if you have an upcoming in-person meeting…” — Anonymous
- “Ratto’s really makes a great sandwich!” — Anonymous
- “Grab lunch from Aburaya and enjoy it at Snow Park.” — Anonymous
Thanks so much to everyone who participated! If you missed our survey, feel free to add your recommendations in the comments.
We’d especially love to hear from our colleagues at the UCPath Center and in Sacramento!Tags: breaks, coffee, lunch, Survey