10-Second Bio: Shanda Hunt, NAIPISA Steering Committee member
Systemwide Associate Director of Compliance Shanda Hunt is a member of the Native American, Indigenous, and Pacific Islander Staff Association (NAIPISA) Steering Committee and an active member of the Lumbee Tribe of North Carolina. Learn what inspires Shanda at work, at home and within NAIPISA.
- Name: Shanda Hunt
- Title: Systemwide Associate Director of Compliance
- Department/Unit: Office of Ethics, Compliance and Audit Services
- Location: Oakland [xučyun (Huichin) Territory — Unceded Ohlone Land]
- When you started working at UCOP: April 2016
- What you do at UCOP in 5 words or less: Cultivate a systemwide culture of compliance.
- The best part about working for OP: Being a part of initiatives that have a positive impact on the entire UC system.
- Something your colleagues don’t know about you: That I am an enrolled and active member of the Lumbee Tribe of North Carolina.
- One weird fact about the town you grew up in: Richmond, Virginia, is well known for Monument Avenue, which until 2020, had five Confederate statutes to memorialize “Confederate heroes.” All but one are now in storage after the city acknowledged the inherent racism of the monuments in July 2020.
- If you could have any job in the world (besides the one you have now), it would be…an astronaut
- Employee resource group you lead/colead: Native American, Indigenous, and Pacific Islander Staff Association (NAIPISA)
- How long you’ve been a member: Since NAIPISA’s founding, in Fall 2020
- Your favorite part about belonging to this ERG: Having the opportunity to create space and share important information, history and current events that impact Native American, Indigenous and Pacific Islanders within OP and the broader UC community.
- Why you hope other colleagues will consider joining your ERG: Please join! NAIPISA is open to all individuals who advocate for the well-being of Native Americans, Indigenous people and Pacific Islanders at the University of California (students, faculty and staff). We welcome you!
Introduce yourself to UCOP colleagues: Submit your 10-Second Bio!
Tags: 10-second bio, employee resource groups, NAIPISA, Shanda Hunt