UCOP hosts its second Employee Resource Group Summit
On Oct. 10, 2023, UCOP employee resource group (ERG) leaders and stakeholders convened for a community-focused event designed to strengthen and inspire staff leaders, while elevating ERGs’ role and impact throughout our organization. The second annual Employee Resource Group Summit was organized around the theme “Strength Through Connections.” More than 65 attendees joined in Oakland, in a satellite gathering at UCPath and remotely, via Zoom.
“This event was a fantastic opportunity for our staff leaders to come together,” says UCOP Equity, Diversity, Inclusion and Belonging Program Manager Dennis McIver. “In addition to building connections with each other, attendees were able to learn more about the role of ERGs at other UC locations and in private industry, then reflect upon and discuss strategies to adopt within our organization.”
Lady Idos, chief diversity, equity and inclusion officer at Lawrence Berkeley National Lab (LBNL) kicked off the event with an inspiring keynote address that touched upon her extensive experiences building and supporting employee resource groups at LBNL and in private industry.
An expert panel addressed the role of ERGs within higher education and featured:
- Ceasor Dennis, Senior Director of Institutional Culture, Climate and Community Engagement, UC Davis Health
- Felicia McKee-Fegans, Executive Assistant and Diversity Program Specialist, San Jose State University
- E. Janie Pinterits, Ph.D., Diversity, Equity & Inclusion Program Manager, LBNL
A second panel, which discussed how ERGs serve private-sector employers, featured:
- Jason Atwater, Director of Diversity, Equity and Inclusion, Learning and Development, Exelixis
- Justyna Lloyd, Associate General Counsel, Corporate and Securities, Logitech
- Susan Kim, Diversity, Equity and Inclusion Manager, San Francisco International Airport
- Trisha Ramirez, Equity, Inclusion and Diversity Consultant & Business Resource Group Program Liaison, Kaiser Permanente, Northern California Market
The summit also included a breakfast networking session, lunchtime wellness activity, breakout sessions and closing reflection.
“Thank you to everyone who helped make this event possible, by participating on the planning committee or by sharing their insights during our time together,” says Dennis. “I found it personally inspiring to experience the enthusiasm that our staff leaders demonstrated throughout the day. It’s encouraging to know that there are so many employees and leaders at UCOP who are committed to making our organization a vibrant and inclusive place to work and belong.”
Are you interested in joining a UCOP ERG?
UCOP employee resource groups are always seeking new contributors who are interested in enriching our workplace and culture while connecting with peers. To get involved, express your interest through this online form and save the date for our next Equity, Diversity and Inclusion Town Hall, focused on UCOP ERGs, taking place Nov., 3 at 1:05 p.m. (PT). Learn more about the EDI Town Hall here.
For questions about the event, or ERGs in general, contact email@example.com.
Tags: Dennis McIver, employee resource group, ERG, ERG Summit