State Governmental Relations team volunteers with Habitat for Humanity

Photos from the State Governmental Relation team’s volunteer event.

On Nov. 2, 2023, the State Governmental Relations (SGR) team came together to complete a day of service with Habitat for Humanity of Greater Sacramento.

SGR chose to do a day of service with Habitat for Humanity because team members wanted to contribute to one of the most pressing needs in their community – affordable housing. Habitat for Humanity, Greater Sacramento, provides safe and affordable housing to families throughout the Sacramento region.

To qualify for a home, residents must: have a need for adequate shelter — for example, if their current housing lacks electricity, has mold, or is generally unsafe; pay 50% of their income on housing; have a salary that reflects 30-80% of the area median income; and contribute 500 hours of sweat equity building their home with other partners.

The SGR team assisted in Cornerstone development, which consists of 18 single-family homes in South Sacramento that are part of a larger, 400-unit, affordable housing development. SGR team members painted an entire house in two coats of exterior paint in one day — donating almost 50 hours of labor.

“Since I joined SGR, the office’s passion for contributing to our local community has been evident,” says Sarah Crowe, communications and advocacy manager. “Being able to put that passion into action today alongside my colleagues made me proud to be part of this team.”

Muoi Trinh, legislative director for research and analysis agrees. “It brings me joy to help our community, and volunteering with my colleagues makes me appreciate them even more,” she says.

The SGR team was recognized with a shout-out from Habitat for Humanity, Greater Sacramento on X!

For questions, contact erin.baum@ucop.edu.