Important office reminders: Holiday decor safety and personal packages
The holiday season is upon us! As you celebrate in the office, please take note of these timely reminders from UCOP Building Services.
Holiday decor safety tips
Are you decorating your workspace or common area for the holidays? Follow these important tips!
- Only “blue/green” painters’ tape should be used to affix items to surfaces. All tape should be removed as soon as possible after the holiday/event.
- Please avoid any materials that will leave a lasting residue (such as glue, glitter, airborne particles, etc.).
- Lights must be unplugged at the close of business each day (5 p.m.) and not left on over a weekend or extended holiday. Battery-operated lights are recommended.
- Decorations must be hung at least two feet clear of the ground so that they won’t be a tripping hazard.
- Do not enclose your cubicle or decorate in other manners that may interfere with the fire protection systems.
- Do not affix or attach anything to sprinkler heads.
- The use of candles, or any other open flame, is strictly prohibited.
- Decorations must not physically or visually obstruct lighting and pathways to building exits.
For questions, please contact the Work Management Center at (510) 987-0600.
Please don’t send personal packages to work
The holiday shopping season has arrived! As you shop this holiday season, please remember that staff may not send personal packages to work.
It is prohibited to send or receive personal packages through UCOP mail services because:
- UC mail services draw on limited university funding and are reserved for official university business.
- The university cannot assume liability for personal deliveries made to UCOP.
Since all deliveries go through the mailroom for security purposes, this applies to packages sent through the U.S. Postal Service, FedEx, UPS and other couriers.
We understand that you cannot always be home to receive a package. Here are some delivery alternatives.
- Make arrangements with family or friends to receive your package while you are at work.
- In Oakland, contact these downtown vendors for pick-up options:
- Fed Ex Office Print & Ship Center, 500 12th St, Oakland
- U.S. Post Office, 1301 Clay St, Oakland
- The UPS Store, 1714 Franklin St, Oakland
- Amazon, 4193 Piedmont Ave, Oakland
- Use couriers’ optional services:
- FedEx: Customize your delivery
- U.S. Post Office: Get the mail you missed redelivered
- UPS: Change your delivery
- Amazon: Try Amazon Lockers, self-service kiosks placed in shopping centers, retail stores and transit stations. You can select an Amazon Locker as your shipping address, receive a pickup code when the package is delivered and collect your package at your convenience up to three business days after delivery.
For questions, please contact Loreaner.Lopez@ucop.edu.Tags: decor, holidays, safety