There’s still time to create a new ERG
The Office of Workplace Inclusion and Belonging (OWIB) is accepting applications for new employee resource groups (ERGs) through Jan. 19, 2024!
If you’re interested in creating a new ERG, read through the Employee Resource Group Application Overview and FAQs (Box login required), then apply online here.
What is an ERG?
At UCOP, ERGs are volunteer, staff-led organizations that receive organizational support and, in turn, support members of our community as well as the larger organization. The work of UCOP’s ERGs is in alignment with the stated recommendations of the 2020 Anti-Racism Task Force Report, the UCOP Strategic Framework, and the UCOP Principles of Community.
What do UCOP ERGs do?
UCOP’s ERGs work to create a culture of equity, diversity, inclusion and belonging at UCOP by:
- Raising awareness of communities, identities and causes among staff and leadership
- Creating a sense of community and connection amongst UCOP staff in all divisions and locations
- Hosting informational, community-building and community service events
- Advocating for organizational change on behalf of their membership
- Networking and sharing information among members and the larger UCOP community
- Partnering with the OWIB to advance EDI initiatives at UCOP, providing insight and guidance on:
— Engaging, recruiting and retaining diverse staff
— Ensuring UCOP policies and initiatives reflect an EDI lens
— Promoting engagement and community-building
Some UCOP ERGs also reflect UC’s higher education mission by supporting UC students through programming, mentoring and scholarship funds.
Why should I consider serving as an ERG leader?
Serving as an ERG leader offers many personal and professional advantages. By taking on a staff leadership role, you will:
- Build your professional network within UCOP and throughout the UC system by making connections with colleagues and leaders with whom you might not otherwise interface
- Develop and build upon your skills in areas such as leadership, project management, budget management, event planning and public speaking
- Use skills that you do not have an opportunity to call upon in your day-to-day work
- Help motivate others to support an identity or cause that is personally meaningful to you
- Enhance your professional portfolio with an additional body of work and demonstrated leadership experience
Learn more about UCOP’s ERGs by watching a recording of our most recent EDI Town Hall
On Nov. 3, 2023, the OWIB presented an Equity, Diversity and Inclusion (EDI) Town Hall focused on ERGs at UCOP. Attendees learned the history of ERGs at UCOP, including their evolution from affinity groups following the 2020 Anti-Racism Task Force Report (PDF). Current ERG leaders also shared their experiences in a roundtable discussion on employee leadership. Watch the recording here (Box login required).
For more information about our ERGs, read the Employee Resource Group Application Overview and FAQs (Box log-in required). For questions, contact Dennis.McIver@ucop.edu.
Tags: Dennis McIver, employee resource group, ERG, ERG application, OWIB