BSFO unites UCOP leadership and colleagues to celebrate Martin Luther King Jr.
On Wednesday, Jan. 10, members of the Black Staff and Faculty Organization (BSFO) partnered with the Equity, Diversity and Inclusion Department to hold their annual reading of Martin Luther King Jr.’s “I Have a Dream” speech.
UCOP colleagues gathered in Oakland and via Zoom to take turns reciting King’s powerful speech, together, then listened to remarks from special guest speaker UC Santa Cruz Professor Emeritus John Brown Childs.
Several UC and UCOP leaders were in attendance, including UCOP Executive Vice President/Chief Operating Officer Rachael Nava and Vice Provost for Academic Personnel and Programs Doug Haynes.
During the event, BSFO co-chairs Joyce Price and Roni Wilson presented special awards to the senior UCOP leaders who have supported BSFO since its founding:
- UC President Michael V. Drake, M.D.
- Charles Robinson, General Counsel and Vice President of Legal Affairs
- Cheryl Lloyd, Vice President of Systemwide Human Resources
- Nathan Brostrom, Executive Vice President and Chief Financial Officer
- Yvette Gullatt, Vice President for Graduate and Undergraduate Affairs; Vice Provost for Equity, Diversity and Inclusion; and Chief Diversity Officer
View photos from the celebration below!