10-Second Bio: Leslie Sepuka

Name: Leslie Sepuka

Title: Media Specialist

Department/Unit: Communications

Location: 12th Floor, Frankin

How long I’ve been with UCOP: May 2009

What I do for OP in five words or less: Enlighten and engage journalists daily.

The best part about working for OP: Being part of a world-class public institution. The UC system is different from the BBC and PBS, where I worked before I came here, but I see similarities in excellence and public trust.

Something you don’t know about me: My name is an anglicized version of the Polish name, Szczepucha. It was my grandfather’s attempt to make things simpler, but people get confused by something they’ve never seen before.

One weird fact about the town I grew up in: It’s the former center of the whaling industry that has since fallen on hard times. So in the midst of a tough area, you can cheaply rent a former whaling mansion with the very best in 1850s technology and materials. For example, when I was in college, I rented a house that had incredible tile and plaster work, 20 foot ceilings, and a shower with multiple, multi-directional shower heads–it was like stepping into a huge metal ribcage.

If I could have any job in the world (besides the one I have now): Land baron would be an interesting change of pace.