Grow your career with UCOP leadership programs
Are you interested in building your management and leadership skills? UCOP offers several development programs for emerging and experienced leaders to help cultivate the specialized skills needed to take on roles of greater responsibility and leadership.
“These programs offer a tremendous developmental opportunity for staff to prepare them for leadership roles,” said Human Resources Vice President Dwaine B. Duckett.
Offered at no cost to participants (except MSAP; see below), each program is designed to meet the needs of a specific audience. Not all details are available yet, but stay tuned for updates. Contact Learning and Development Manager Linda Klink at 510-987-0673 or Linda.Klink@ucop.edu with questions.
UC Management Development
Launched systemwide last year, the UC Management Development Program is designed for managers at all UC campuses, labs, medical centers and UCOP and includes an opportunity to participate in regional UC conferences following the training.
- Target audience: middle-level managers and above who manage managers or complex organizational programs
- Key focus: to provide the competencies needed to create a culture of engagement; maximize individual and organizational performance; and successfully manage operations, support the mission and attain strategic goals
- Format and curriculum: three daylong sessions at UCOP (March 20, April 23 and May 15) focused on the core competencies of people management, employee engagement and change management
- How do I apply? Contact Linda Klink by March 1 to participate; enrollment is limited and will be determined on a first-come, first-served basis.
Leadership Development Program
UCOP’s Leadership Development Program, now in its second year, is designed to cultivate specialized skills in UCOP’s emerging leaders and grow a diverse pool of talent to fill future leadership roles.
- Target audience: for strong performers who manage people and/or projects, have been in their current position for one year and have potential to take on increased responsibility and leadership roles
- Key focus: covers UCOP-specific strategies, goals and issues taught by both professional facilitators and top OP leaders who share their experience and skills for meeting the challenges of UCOP’s changing environment
- Format and curriculum: nine days of interactive learning (one meeting per month from April to December 2013) covering leading, managing people, collaboration and teamwork, strategy and decision-making, problem-solving and effective communication
- How do I apply? Nomination/application materials will be available soon and due in mid-March; approval of participant’s supervisor and department is required.
Management Skills Assessment Program
The Management Skills Assessment Program (MSAP) is an intensive weeklong assessment program for UC managers systemwide, offered annually at the Asilomar Conference Center in Pacific Grove, Calif.
- Target audience: designed to strengthen engagement and preparation in high-potential UC supervisors, managers and professionals
- Key focus: a unique assessment experience that, over time, cumulatively builds a valuable talent pipeline and assists in upward mobility and talent deployment for ever-evolving workforce needs
- Format and curriculum: weeklong program (April 29 to May 3, 2013), with orientations and a follow-up session, in which trained assessors guide participants through structured exercises and offer feedback on their strengths and development needs
- How do I apply? Find more details and application materials online; deadline is Wednesday, March 6, 2013. (Note that departments are required to cover participation costs for the assessees.)
For more information or questions, contact Learning and Development Manager Linda Klink at 510-987-0673 or Linda.Klink@ucop.edu.